JUst got a 14 sea nymph w/ 15hp johnson.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinfisher

Reaction score
:)
Can't wait o take it out. the guys mechanic just went thru the motor, new head gasket, fuel pump,impellor and carb kit. I ran it the last two nights and it runs and starts great! Has anyone ever adjusted the high speed knod on yhe right side of the motor?? The guy said he's never had to touch it..... so why is it there?
Anyone have any suggestion on how to set it up?? Thanks

spinfisher said:
Can't wait o take it out. the guys mechanic just went thru the motor, new head gasket, fuel pump,impellor and carb kit. I ran it the last two nights and it runs and starts great! Has anyone ever adjusted the high speed knod on yhe right side of the motor?? The guy said he's never had to touch it..... so why is it there?
Anyone have any suggestion on how to set it up?? Thanks

That knob is for adjusting the idle speed. You really should use to a tach if you're gonna mess with it. I would leave it alone if it seems to idle down nicely. I would assume it should idle around 650 RPM. If a motor is idling too high, shifting will wear out or damage your gears and clutch dog faster. Also, your manual describes the adjustment procedure.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy your new boat!

I have the same motor & I adjust the idle knob to fit my trolling needs & I don't use a tach.As previously stated you don't want your idle too high for shifting purposes.What year is your motor?

I recently got a 15 horse Evinrude. They are the same motor basicly. Youre going to love it,they run good start easy and are dependable. Congrats! =D>

I'm taking to the delta tommorrow, thanks for the responses! I started and ran the motor this PM. and it ran great! So I can't wait to get out! Plus the stripers are running! Catch bluegills for bait then drift them, hopefully bring home some fish stink! The motor is a 1985.

That high speed knob on the side of the motor is to limit how fast you can go. I guess you could call it a governor. If you screw it in it won't allow the throttle to open up fully.
The knob on the front of the carb is the slow speed adjustment. That knob should be set around 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. If your outboard is idling fine I wouldn't mess with it.

I was at the Delta the day before all this wind started. I caught about a dozen bass up to 2 lbs and when I got back to the ramp close to dark the stripers were busting shad. I stuck a 10+ within the first few casts but lost it at the boat because I didn't have a net and I wasn't about to lip it. I caught a couple small ones and a keeper stripe about 20" but I tossed it back since I hate cleaning fish.
Most of the stripers in the system are small schoolies but I have heard of some slugs being caught.

I'm heading back Friday as long as the this wind lays down.

Latest posts