how do you remove the boat from trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper60103

Reaction score
how do you remove the boat from the trailer?

This may be a simple task, but I have only one set of hands and limited
space in a garage to work in.

I know some of you guys flip the boat over on the trailer for painting. I'm assuming the boat is light enough
and have help it's no big deal.

I'm just wondering how you guys would tackle this problem for a 400# boat? I want to remove the boat so I can sand/paint boat and trailer.
Looking for some ideas to make this easy for a guy working alone.

Thanks.

I have a boat I flip by using a engine cherry picker.Put something on floor for a cushion slide boat off trailer until bottom touches floor than use cherry picker to lift front of boat & slide trailer out.Now you can just grab back side of boat & roll over while the front hangs up in the air to give it enough room to turn.Hope that makes sense to you.

If you've got a good size tree with a low hanging heavy branch, you can throw a rop over it and attach that to the front eye or handles on the front of you boat and just raise it up. Pull your trailer out from underneath it, flip it over and then paint it with it still hanging in the air or on the ground.

i flipped my other boat over and painted it straight on the ground, then flipped it over, taped what I didn't want painted and painted the gunwhales a different color.

ok, a couple good ideas. No big trees available, so the cherry picker is the most feasible. I really don't want to buy one though. Maybe renting is a option. Thanks.

You might get lucky by just doing this;(1)trailer attached to vechile(or even higher if you can),brace the front of your boat up.(2)lower the tongue,brace the rear of your boat up.(3)when you pick the tongue up abit after that,your boat should be free,just depends how you have it braced weither the trailer gets out:).Sawhorses and strong 2X8s off to the sides off the trailer would be needed on one end(bow or stern),so you can pull your trailer out.
You can also use a jack to raise the boat trailer up,then lower but still will need one end braced off to the sides so you can oull your trailer out.

just slide it off the rear onto some stands (Cinderblocks with wood on top) - Block the rear of teh Boat behind the trailer by lifting or jacking it onto the blocks - the start slowly pulling the trailer forward and add a block to the front

guys, it sounds like some good ideas. but after thinking about it,
I think I can paint my boat w/o removing it from the trailer.
I don't have any repairs to do on the boat or trailer.
Just cleanup the surface, sand a little and paint.

The trailer has rollers so I can sand/paint around them. Let it dry, move the boat a little
and finish the rest. Probably won't be a show room finish, but it should turn out ok.
Then, I can mask off the boat and sand/paint the trailer.

Thanks again.

depending on how you are painting your trailer... you can just go to where ever you fish, put your boat in the water, fish a little and let your trailer dry - then come back, paint your trailer and go back out to fish for a few hours... that's how I change the bunks on my trailer anyway

I just went through this myself and here's what I did. Two of us(recommend 3 or 4) Picked up the boat and set it on the ground. I took a 2 x 6 and 4x4 that I had laying around and strapped them accross the trailer sideways so the boat would have something to rest on. The problem usually is the gunwales are wider thatn the bunks and often wider than the wheels. Having long enought wood brace made it easy to balance while sanding and painting.

Once the boat was off, we simply rolled one side on to the wood bracing, the picked up the other side and slid it all the way on. It will definitely be a much easier project and easier on your back if you can flip it over. Here's a look at how I place the bracing so I could work on it.
Sanding 1.JPG

Once I was done painint. We got it off the trailer the same way...kind of rolling it off. They to get it back on slid the trailer up to the front of the boat. Picked the front of the boat up and put it on the bunks. Then one guy lifted the nose of the trailer in the air while the other guy winched it on. It actually went on very easy. Lifting the nose of the trailer was key and not to hard to do with nothing on it. Just lift the nose enought so that the trailer is at the same angle as the boat. By doing that we didn't have to worry about the bunks digging into the bottom of the boat and denting anything.

Nussy said:
I just went through this myself and here's what I did. Two of us(recommend 3 or 4) Picked up the boat and set it on the ground. I took a 2 x 6 and 4x4 that I had laying around and strapped them accross the trailer sideways so the boat would have something to rest on. The problem usually is the gunwales are wider thatn the bunks and often wider than the wheels. Having long enought wood brace made it easy to balance while sanding and painting.

Once the boat was off, we simply rolled one side on to the wood bracing, the picked up the other side and slid it all the way on. It will definitely be a much easier project and easier on your back if you can flip it over. Here's a look at how I place the bracing so I could work on it.

Once I was done painint. We got it off the trailer the same way...kind of rolling it off. They to get it back on slid the trailer up to the front of the boat. Picked the front of the boat up and put it on the bunks. Then one guy lifted the nose of the trailer in the air while the other guy winched it on. It actually went on very easy. Lifting the nose of the trailer was key and not to hard to do with nothing on it. Just lift the nose enought so that the trailer is at the same angle as the boat. By doing that we didn't have to worry about the bunks digging into the bottom of the boat and denting anything.

Way to go Man =D> I did it the same way twice, Worked good both times !!! :D

Latest posts