Hinge Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nussy

Reaction score
I'm wondering what type of hinges you guys use for the door compartment on the deck. My doors will be wood connecting to my wood deck with doors and deck carpeted. Supported with aluminum braces. Do I need stainless or aluminum hinges??? Searching my local hardware stores all i can find are zinc or brass hinges. Will these be problematic?

Also I was thinking I would attached them so the hinges are hidden between the crack as opposed to strapped to the deck? Does anyone have any experience with this. Looking for recommendations.

I think that many guys use piano hinge. Can be purchased in like 4' lengths, and you cut it to size. It's thin, so it can be placed in the crack as not to bee seen. Believe it comes in either stainless aor aluminum. If you go with what you are finding, I think that the zinc ones might eventually rust. Don't think that the brass would have any ploblems though, other than maybe some tarnish.

if your mounting plated hinges above the wood so they are not touching aluminum they shouldn't be a problem. I was looking at a G3 at Hannay marine and it had door covers mounted this way. Plated hinges above the carpet. It didn't look terribly bad and was a similiar plan too what I was going too do before I found 6' aluminum piano hinges at $5 each. I couldn't pass them up.

danmyersmn said:
if your mounting plated hinges above the wood so they are not touching aluminum they shouldn't be a problem. I was looking at a G3 at Hannay marine and it had door covers mounted this way. Plated hinges above the carpet. It didn't look terribly bad and was a similiar plan too what I was going too do before I found 6' aluminum piano hinges at $5 each. I couldn't pass them up.

Where'd you find the hinges for $5? Is is someplace where I might be able to order them from?

Nussy said:
danmyersmn said:

Where'd you find the hinges for $5? Is is someplace where I might be able to order them from?

No, they where at one of the clearance spots I check. I have a few stops around me at marine and sporting good stores that I stop in and hit the clearance, discount, blem/return shelves at every time I drive by. It was just luck of timing on my part.

Here is a pic of the hinges I was talking about.
https://www.hannaysmarine.com/promag168.htm

Latest posts