Which wood do you guys use and why?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskiehunting

Reaction score
Green treated or marine grade for the floors and fishing deck? And what exactly is the difference? thanks

muskiehunting said:
Green treated or marine grade for the floors and fishing deck? And what exactly is the difference? thanks

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining!

Use regular plywood and poly it yourself. Marine grade is not worth the cost in my opinion. I am not sure what green treated is.

Do not use treated lumber! The chemicals used to treat it will eat the aluminum up fast.

Depends on what you are using the wood for: If building a hull, use marine grade, it has more plys, better glue, no voids andwill not check.
For decks and stuff that is not really structural, a good AC plywood will do, as will non-treated pine/fir. Make sure to use good primer and marine grade enamal paint on it.

Still dont use treated, its wet & heavy, wont hold paint or glue for carpets well. And you dont really need it.
I would use either marine plywood or a really good AC. Dont skimp on the wood or paint, putting a little more money in now will keep you from spending more later.

Look at how Rat is doing his. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9788

1/2" marine plywood with a fiberglass mat on top and all sides and edges coated in epoxy.

I would not use treated. The boat I just bought had it, and it it had started to corrode the aluminum framing. I decided to replace it. From what I've read, many guys use regular plywood and treat it with Thompson's Water Seal. So that's what I decided to do. I went with 3/4" cabinet grade from HD(It had more layers and seamed nicer). You might be able to get away with thinner wood but I did not want to deal with any warping, especially since my hatches and rod locker will be wood and some cover some larger spans. I put 2 coats on before I cut it it. Now I'll go back with one more and make sure to soak the edges good.

If your boat sits outside uncovered all the time it might be worth it to go the extra mile with some kind of epoxy coating or fiberglass but mine spends most of it's life in my garage.

I wouldnt put any fiberglass over the wood myself, Once it gets moisture your screwed, as it isnt gonna evaporate thru a layer of fiberglass... Regular un treated wood, and some good ol thompsons IMO..

It seems easier too just use marine grade.. but its $80bux a sheet. Ill only need 2 though... this is what i plan on doing...

2zziz6g.jpg

:)
I wouldn't use treated lumber unless it is for the bunk boards, The green chemical is Copper green and is not healthy if you get a sliver or are cutting it, sure as hell don't burn it!
I use cabinet grade ply for my decking, It uses exterior glue and has fewer voids than ext ply and it could be made to look nice. As far as your sealer, that is up to how much you use it and if you store it outside, My boat is covered so I just grabbed a can of Polyurethane I had from a previous project. The one thing you wnat tod is to make sure you cover all the wood, the edges are most important to seal. Most people cover the surface whee they walk or what might be exoposed, but most of your water intrusion is where you don't see it! Good luck, Spin

We tried using cheap pressboard and thompsons water seal and a thick coat of white paint. It got a little wet from the morning dews and warped some. I got ticked off and we ended up ripping that crap out and going with all aluminum, except one part of the back deck where we had re-enforce it some....

Check my boat build for pictures

Hi,
I am working on my seats and possibly a floor for my 12 foot aluminum jon. I went to HD and asked for exterior grade lumber and after I purchased it found it was treated lumber. I had already decided to carpet the aluminum seats in the boat. I was going to paint the wood with some polyeurathane oil paint that I had and then carpet the wood on both sides. The sheet was damaged and I got a huge sheet of 3/4 inch for only $15. If the aluminum seats are covered in carpet, the woods is painted and the wood is carpeted on boat sides, am I still in for corrosion. None of the wood will be touching the aluminum. Thanks

Check Craigs List. I don't know where you're located but I found this near me: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mat/1485073381.html

I am in the process of replacing the wood floor in my Duro Boat. I am lucky as I live in a coastal area were marine ply (fir) and A/C ext fir is readily available. !/2 ext fir is about 28.00/sheet Marine is 60.00 a sheet. I am going with ext fir. I found an article on the web about using 100% acrylic latex house paint(exterior grade) . Makes sense if you look at the article.

Frank