8ft boat mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedog57

Reaction score
hey i just got my first boat its about 8ft iknow its more than 42 inches wide but i need the best way to do a deck because i want to go all out on it

Sedog57 - I am sure you will get lots of suggestions that you first take the boat out and experiment before you do too much planning. If you are making a deck for storage only there shouldn't be too many concerns. If you plan to use it as a casting deck, it's a whole different thing. I have a 1236 with a deck on the front. Even with just me in the boat I don't stand on it. My boat is much too light and at 36" wide, too unstable to stand on the deck. Even at seat-height, I wouldn't stand on a deck in mine. I put a seat mount on the deck and even that doesn't work well as the boat is too light, the stern comes out of the water pretty far and the boat actually pivots around the bow in even a slight breeze. Take the boat out and stand in it and see what you think. Start on the floor and then the seats. Move around, shift your weight from side to side and see how stable it feels. Also, consider if someone is in the boat with you. An unexpected movement by someone else can land you in the drink...

sedog57 said:
hey i just got my first boat its about 8ft iknow its more than 42 inches wide but i need the best way to do a deck because i want to go all out on it

What kind of Boat are you talking about, One of the Bass Hunter - Scamp type plastic boats ?

no its a aluminum boat its short and stump very wide and with me and my dad in we can both stand up and cast but i ts just cluttered so iwas thing about doing something like a deck in the front one in the back and two storage places on the side because right now it a mess and possible some rode holders

sedog57 said:
no its a aluminum boat its short and stump very wide and with me and my dad in we can both stand up and cast but i ts just cluttered so iwas thing about doing something like a deck in the front one in the back and two storage places on the side because right now it a mess and possible some rode holders

Well that sounds good, I dont think I have seen a Tin Boat that Short, That doesnt mean anything, Because There is a lot about Boats I haven't seen!! :) But if both you Guys can Stand in it, And cast, I dont see why you Couldn't build a deck and Storage, I have a 10foot
Tin Boat With a 32 in bottom in it, I can Stand and cast fine, But with 2 people it is tricky, Your boat Sounds good, I would be very interested in Seeing your Boat and what kind of Mod. you decide to make !!

these are what its starting like

Attachments

• stiff 008.JPG
    stiff 008.JPG
    414.1 KB · Views: 912
  • stiff 009.JPG
    stiff 009.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 912
  • stiff 010.JPG
    stiff 010.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 912
I would build removable platforms to try out first for decking... and I wouldn't deck above the seats. Your boat is wide, but I dont think it's really long enough to put higher decks on.

If you are looking for storage, then cut the tops out of the benches and put your stuff in there, just put hinges on it and have it open up.

Put on your life jacket then throw a piece of thick plywood over those benches and try it on a shallow lake. Move left and right forward and back and maybe try it with 2 people. This will be your best indicator if it is worth decking. If not a simple level floor will make a world of difference.

I like that boat! But, the most I would do is repaint and maybe put some storage under the seats. But that would be about it. If you want to do some extensive moding I would go with a bigger boat. You'll be much more comfortable with a bigger boat.

What RUSS said, He has a Thread on here somewhere that Shows how he did it, I fixed both My Seats that way In 2006 when my 10 foot Tracker was new, My Boat is like yours, All Electric :) , I have a 45lb Thrush Trolling motor on it, 2 Batteries under the Center Seat, And a plywood Floor like JIM suggested, Works good in the Small Lakes and River Arms I like ti fish in!! :wink:

sedog57 said:
i wiegh 160 AND so does my dad and its nice

Good Im glad it does, Neat looking Little Boat, It would be easy to Deck, Put Storage in, Whatever you decide to do, Post some pictures of what you do!!
Do you have any Idea who made the Boat? One of my Grandsons Is after me to help him fix a boat, He would like yours, And maybe I could get out of giving him mine !! :lol:

sedog57 said:
looking for ply wood what type

I think most people on here are like myself, Just use outdoor Plywood , and paint it good with Thompson water seal , Save some money that way , Also a good Idea to use Stainless Steel hardware on it I think ? :)

Latest posts