Solid Rivet Howto

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmyersmn

Reaction score
Here is a brief example of how to do rivets. I am sure others have much better methods but this is what I use. Use it as an example of how to figure out your own technique.

I use solid aluminum rivets that are either Flat Head or Pan Head.

Flat Head
w08-HEAD2.gif

Pan Head
w08-HEAD5.gif

Any of the round headed rivets are going to need a special tool to install. If you want the new rivets to match your existing old rivets then you may need to invest in the proper tools.

So here are two pieces of angle aluminum with rivets. The pic's do not show well but I elongated one of the holes to show how you could use a rivet to clean up a bad existing hole.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

Here is the second piece of material with two holes drilled. Again one of them is elongated.

IMG_0695.jpg

and with the rivets in place.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

To install the rivets I use a 2lb sledge on the head end and a run-of-the-mill framing/utility/everyone has one type hammer.

IMG_0699.jpg

In order for me to actually do the install I cant let the piece fall down like it is. It needs to be held in place by another person or by using tape or clamps or whatever. Keep the two pieces tight together.

Ok, next I cheated. I replaced the sledge with my vice since I have two small pieces and I would have to hold them in place with the vice and I am lazy and well... ;)

IMG_0701.jpg

On my boat I use the method of the two hammers like I described.
IMG_0707.jpg

You can see that the rivet fills in the elongated hole.

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

That does it.

Thanks! I was really wanting to use solid rivets but after the last mod my wife wasn't to found of another boat mod. Now that I dont have to buy an expensive tool both of us will be happy. lol

Another thing to add. I don't hold the sledge by the handle. I palm the head of it to keep it held tight against the rivet. If I was holding it like I am in that picture the head would jump off the rivet each time I hit it with the other hammer. I guess you don't notice the little things like that when your trying to set-up a scenario to photo. I have used the top, the side, the front, just about all the different sides of the sledge based on how I can wedge it into where the rivet is going.

Latest posts