Rod Holder project for boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
I've been looking and trying to decide what type of rod holder to put in my boat since I bought it, but haven't found anything that will fit my needs. So, I've designed one that will fold against the side of my storage box when not in-use, being held against the carpeted storage box with the male side of a strip of Velcro which will be glued to the holder. The material will be 3/8" poly cutting board material, as you can find them cheaply at WalMart, Lowe's, etc. The holders will be hinged to fold flat when not in use, and will swing-out to accomodate rods, with the rods (hopefully) holding them in-place while being used. I'll workout the kinks in the design as I go, lol. Still have to come up with a way to keep the rods from coming out of the slots in the one side of the holder. Here's some quick drawings I made using MSPaint:

normal_folding_rod_holder.jpg

normal_folding_rod_holder2.jpg

normal_folding_rod_holder3.jpg

Think it'll work?
headscratch_shrug_smilie.gif

Nice idea for the rod holders :idea: , very efficient use of space. You could notch the top and bottom of the rod holders and use a small bungie cord to hold them in place. I've been trying to think of something to use on my boat and your idea looks great.

Use a bungee method like Doug mentioned to hold them in. My concern would be them trying to fold up when rods are in it. I feel that it would need it's own latching mechanism, for the rods themselves probably will not hold it in the slick poly material (I use that stuff for bunk slicks).

Doug said:
Nice idea for the rod holders :idea: , very efficient use of space. You could notch the top and bottom of the rod holders and use a small bungie cord to hold them in place. I've been trying to think of something to use on my boat and your idea looks great.

Thanks, and may tinker with the idea this winter. :)

bassboy1 said:
Use a bungee method like Doug mentioned to hold them in. My concern would be them trying to fold up when rods are in it. I feel that it would need it's own latching mechanism, for the rods themselves probably will not hold it in the slick poly material (I use that stuff for bunk slicks).

Same thoughts here. That stuff is slick, and I would also line the holes / slots with some felt strips or something to that effect to protect the rods.

Latest posts