Just Bought Crawdad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilthimble

Reaction score
I just bought this boat for $225. A 12' Orange Coleman Crawdad from the 1980s, and appears to be little-used and in great shape. I haven't seen many orange ones. I'm picking it up next week. Pretty excited about it really. I've seen one modded Crawdad with a wood floor and reinforcements, but wondering about other mod recommendations from users on here. I've had a slew of boats over the years, but I'm going for more and more simple in my fishing, and, apparently, my boats too :). It will be run by 2 55lb. trolling motors and occasionally a 5hp Sea King. Also planning to mount up a removeable fishfinder. Has anyone used the Garmin 160c? Recommendations?

Attachments

• Crawdad1.jpg
    Crawdad1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,221
  • Crawdad2.jpg
    Crawdad2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,221
  • Crawdad3.jpg
    Crawdad3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,221
:WELCOME:

Nice Crawdad. I put floors and seats on mine, Great little honey hole boat. I will get pictures of it up one day (I'm a slacker)

I have a 30 pound hand control in the front with a battery in the rear. I plan on putting some LED lights on it too for some night swimbaiting.

Very nice! I picked up one a couple months ago and have replaced the not so comfortable seats with 'real' seats and plan to put a floor in it shortly. I've got a 30# Prowler TM on the back which pushes it around nicely and an Eagle FishMark 480 fish finder mounted on the front. I love being able to just toss it in the back of the truck and go on a moments notice.

Well, I picked up the crawdad on Sunday. I is in really good shape, except the bottom is a bit more beat up/scraped than I thought. Structurally sound, though, just needs some cleaning. It is a 1984, and hasn't been in the water since 1989. I'm thinking about replacing the wood slats on the floor with a couple pieces of carpeted 5/8" ply, and putting in a longer piece of carpeted ply that stretches from the front seat to the transom on one side to lay rods down on. Not sure about this yet though. I"m going to use ply to reinforce the front motor mount too. I'm contemplating taking the front plastic/foam out and putting in a carpeted wood storage unit up there, but not sure. Any mod ideas would be helpful.

Also, with fishfinders, I'm looking for one under $175. What do you recommend?

This thing will eventually be powered by 2 55lb. Thrust Enduras, but to start with I'll only have one which I plan to use on the front. I'll need some sort of rudder to keep the rear end stabilized, and I wondered if anyone had clever ideas for a fixed rear rudder. Thanks!

Awesome find, here's mine I did up this past spring
cdad2.jpg

If I recall correctly the flat portion inside is around 32"-34". If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post an actual dimension this evening. Hopefully I'm going to have some time this evening to work on the flooring in mine.

I have a 32 in Tin Boat, Was just curious about how wide a guy could get one like yours, There is a Dealer in Branson Mo. May drive up there during the Holidays and Talk with them, I am very interested in them!! :)

Arkdave said:
I have a 32 in Tin Boat, Was just curious about how wide a guy could get one like yours, There is a Dealer in Branson Mo. May drive up there during the Holidays and Talk with them, I am very interested in them!! :)

They don't make the ones you see in the picture anymore. Now its a plastic 2 piece jobbie. Keep your eyes on craigslist is your best bet.

Jim said:
Arkdave said:

They don't make the ones you see in the picture anymore. Now its a plastic 2 piece jobbie. Keep your eyes on craigslist is your best bet.

Thanks Jim I didnt know that, With Molded in Seats I suppose, I do watch Craigslist local, Ill start looking in other places!! :)

Nice find. I've never seen one that color. Just had mine out for the first time yesterday. Got to get some proper seats but love it.

Jim said:
Arkdave said:

There is one On Craigslist for Springfield Mo. under yesterdays listing, 11 footer never been registered , Includes Trolling motor And battery and Fish Finder, Asking 550.00 for it, Looks good in the picture, Cant get an answer from them, May already be sold !!

Just finished mounting up my Captain's chair on the back 5 of the 'Crawdiddy' [-X . Used 3/4" treated ply and an Attwood seat mount set up I picked up at Wal-Mart today.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I actually just sold mine to buddy yesterday for $450. I couldn't resist because I was scraping up the plastic bottom too much on some shallow boat launches. Now I'll be getting at real tin jon boat. the bottom on mine was 32".

Latest posts