Boat & motor mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymanme2

Reaction score
Since I used to race boats I have that need for speed so I decided to do some mods to my boat.I thought less boat in the water the more speed, right, well sort of.I put some tunnels on my boat.Well with my 15 hp I lost 3 mph(22),with my 20 hp I gained 2 mph(32),& with my 40 hp I gained 7 mph(40 mph) Now when I put these on(tunnels), the boat floats higher so I thought I'd have to cut the transom down.Not the case.I believe because the tunnel the motor gets cleaner water so this means it takes less water to float which is good.The tunnels also added some stability.My floor is 40 inches wide so its pretty stable already.
I am only the 2nd owner of my 40 hp.It is a Mercury Mark 55 E.It was built in 1956 & the first year that Merc had electric start & a charging system.What I like about those old motors is that they where light.This motor weighs 118 #'s.A 1998 Merc 25 hp 2 stroke weighs 125 #'s.I have more horse with less weight.Well my 40 hp didn't have a tiller so I fabed one from a 9.5 Evinrude.The whole tiller bolts on with NO mods to motor.Works sweet.
I use my 40 hp when I have a ways to run to my fishin spots but it doesn't slow down enough for trolling (5 mph).If I'm going to troll I use my 15 hp or 20 hp.
Here's a few pics

Attachments

• tiller 001.jpg
    tiller 001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 463
  • boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 463
  • tiller 020.jpg
    tiller 020.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 463
You made your semi V into a jon boat.
I bet it's more stable now,if you stand and fish.
Gaining 7mph is a ton of speed,looking at it,I bet she flies.

Dang! You better put a beard net on if you go any faster - that thing might wind up in the prop!

Man I wish I could grow a beard and not have to shave it off every month.. dang military

Performance mods,now why would you think that.Maybe a little timing tweaking.Both my Mercs are capable of running 8000 rpm's,but not sustained for longevity of motor.Just long enough to when a race.I also want them to idle down for fishin.Speed is more on set up than motor tweaking.I have some tricks done to my water intake so I can run the motor as high as possible on transom.