stability of different hulls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
Which is stable enough to stand in? with maybe a raised deck and a shallow floor?

Mod V
Flat Jon
Full V

I have my eye on a 14 foot sea nymph for $250. Is it a decent boat to fish from? and how high could I deck it safely?

As a rule the flat jon is the most stable but any of the 3 styles can be stable enough for a front deck. The key is the width and the chine. If you go with a V boat ideally you want one with a square or reverse chine. The rounder the chine the less stable it is. The chine is the angle the sides make with the bottom.

With the same length & width and all other things being equal, normally hulls rank out as follows, most stable to less stable (as well as shallower to deeper draft) (rough water ability is the reverse order):

Flat Jon
Mod V
Semi-V
Full V

However, all things are rarely equal!

Which SeaNymph 14' are you talking about? Flat, Mod-V or Semi-V? How wide??
I have a 1440 ModV, it is pretty stable but I wish I had gotten the 1448MV instead. That extra 8" makes a big difference.

i'm looking at the mod v or full v i can't remember the actual posting, gunna go see it tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is the full v. i really think this is a deal, and it has its papers. would i be able to deck a full v?

Ive got a 1652 mod v with a front deck, and this thing is a tank! Stand on it, dive off it,fish off it. I wish I knew how to post pics. I take mine -at the most- 11 miles in Lake Erie and can fish off the front deck all day in 3 ftrs.

Posting pics is pretty easy, when you are typing your reply or new post, use the "upload attachment" form just below where you are typing. When it asks if you want to place the photo inline, hit that button.
Pretty easy.

You should be able to deck a full V depending on how big it is. I wouldn't do anything less than probably 14 feet.

cooolllll......i can't wait to start.

the first step is painting, right?
is there any other paint i could use other than steelflex? the 90 bucks isn't in my budget right now.

Latest posts