new boat mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basschamp

Reaction score
hey guys, here is a link to the boat im looking at, https://directboats.com/fisherman12.html

it has a 38inch bottem so i think im safe on decking.
But it only has a 500pound capacity and i want a small livewell( i will just yous a cooler) which will add a lot of wait with the water in it, does anyone have any tips or ideas to save wait? im also going to use only 1 battery for the troller and the livewell.

Unless you have a specific reason for getting a 12 footer, I'd go with a 14' that is at least 40" wide if you are wanting to stand up and fish. If you haven't, read the thread about decking a boat, when to/when not to that is a sticky. For the price of that boat, you could probably even get a used 1448 that would be really stable. This is all just my opinion, others' mileage may (and will) vary.

Hydrilla said:
Unless you have a specific reason for getting a 12 footer, I'd go with a 14' that is at least 40" wide if you are wanting to stand up and fish. If you haven't, read the thread about decking a boat, when to/when not to that is a sticky. For the price of that boat, you could probably even get a used 1448 that would be really stable. This is all just my opinion, others' mileage may (and will) vary.

I agree! My first mod looked awesome but it was a 14-36 and it was really unstable with a deck. You got use to it eventually but that was the main reason i got rid of it. I would check out Craig's list. Alot of times someone needs quick cash and will sell almost a brand new boat and motor for the price of a brand new boat by itself. 99.9% of the time i would go with what people suggest on here because they have already experienced it.

this is the link to my first mod. i loved it but hated standing up in it.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7167

Good point about Craigslist. I personally think this is the best time of the year to buy a new boat, because most people are thinking a whole lot more about buying Christmas presents than they are fishing.

Last year I bought a Lowe 1236 for $640 - it is riveted however. The $1129 price seems high to me. And, like they said - unless you specifically need the smaller boat to fit into your truck or something, consider getting a 1440 or 1448. I'm not sure of your location, but Craig's list in my area has lots of jons for sale including plenty of 14 footers and my 1236. I am going to get a 1455 when mine sells.

I have scaled back the build of my 1436 significantly since I started, with the only reason being that I know deep down that I probably won't keep it for more than a year, before I sell it to buy a 1448. I'm keeping my trailer, but I would be surprised if I still have the boat at the end of the Summer. Ijust know me. You may be different. I don't regret getting my 1436, and who knows- it may suit me better than I'm thinking, and I may keep it longer.

Latest posts