Grumman 4.6 floor options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokson

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i've been searching through the forums looking at all different types of modifications I can do to my boat. It's a Grumman 4.6 (1556 i believe). I was thinking of making a casting deck at both the front and back of the boat and then removing the middle bench and installing a floor between the front and rear bench (the room to move around would be really nice). I've read alot about the issues with removing the middle bench and was wondering what everyone thought with my setup. I would definitely put in some kind of brace from where the middle bench attaches down to the floor to make the sides a little more sturdy (if needed). Let me know what you think, i'm open to all ideas.
Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• P1000666.JPG
    P1000666.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,176
  • P1000667.JPG
    P1000667.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,176
It's hard to tell by pics how much room you have up front and I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you do but here's my two cents worth. I fish mostly bass and walleyes, casting or jigging and I like to fish standing up. I like a larger front deck and I like to have a lot of underfloor storage. What I would do is move the motor controls back to the last seat and have the front deck go all the way to the middle seat. It would give a great area to build storage and keeping the middle seat won't affect the hull strength. It also would require much less framing. I would also throw a small deck on the back by basically framing in the back corners so you could fish from a higher postion there as well.

Hey Nussy, thanks for the advice. A large casting deck at the front would be great. Unfortunately I have to keep the design so that 4 people can sit in the boat at any given time. I think if I keep the front casting deck from the front bench forward I can then put a cushion or two at the edge of the deck and 2 people could still sit there while underway. I completely agree with framing in the back to make a higher deck. Being that the boat is fairly wide I don't think I should have any issues with centre of gravity while standing there.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts