building floor for my boat, just some questions.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAI

Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to this boating life, so i really don't know a lot about it. i know that everyone on here is very helpful. so i was wondering if you guys could help me out here.

Is there any certain type of screws to use? or does it matter?

I'm looking for a carpet to use but on the cheaper side which ones will that be?

CAN I USE OUTDOOR/ARTIFICIAL TURF? PROS & CONS?

thanks to all who replies!!!

Welcome aboard. I just used wood screws. Nothing fancy. For carpet, I went to lowes. I dont remember if it was actual marine carpet or not, but it wasnt artificial turf. I have seen some done with that, so I guess it is a matter of preference.

KAI said:
Hello all I'm new to this boating life, so i really don't know a lot about it. i know that everyone on here is very helpful. so i was wondering if you guys could help me out here.

Is there any certain type of screws to use? or does it matter?

I'm looking for a carpet to use but on the cheaper side which ones will that be?

CAN I USE OUTDOOR/ARTIFICIAL TURF? PROS & CONS?

thanks to all who replies!!!

You can use standard wood screws but I would go one step further and use the decking screws that have the coating on them. They should last a bit longer. When you say artificial turf are you referring to the 1970's era outdoor carpet. the standard thin green stuff thats been around for ever? You can use it yes. Its cheap and easy to get but I find it kind of ugly and dated. Lowe's sells an outdoor carpet and its very cheap for what they have in stock. They also have an outdoor carpet display where they can order other options including actual Marine carpet. I think the Marine carpet looks much better and it has many more color choices.

Since your in Hawaii all the costs are going to be more expensive and you might just need to base your choice on price before looks.

Welcome!! I got my Stuff At Home Depot, We have Lowes and Home Depot both in Town, I tend to favor H.D. for most things like this, But everyone is different!
They Had and still have some good Quality Indoor outdoor Carpet, That I put in my Boat in 2006, Still looks good, Short nap, Easy to Clean and doesn't grab the hooks "too" bad,
of course they Have all kinds Of screws, Stainless is better of course, but a lot of people use the coated Deck Screws,!
Good luck with your Build, Post some pictures !! :D

If you use wood, stain or paint it to keep rot at bay. Pressure treated wood will react with aluminum and the costic reaction eats holes in the aluminum. Avoid pressure treated wod where it makes contact with aluminum.

As for the carpet, dont get anything with loops, your hooks WILL get hung up in the loop and you wil send more time than you care trying to free it, only to complete the job with a knife.

You could go with a frame made from aluminum and pop rivets. It will be lighter than a wood frame. A pop rivet gun runs about $20. The aluminum will cost much more than wood but you won't have to worry about rot or corrosion.

Cheeseball said:
You could go with a frame made from aluminum and pop rivets. It will be lighter than a wood frame. A pop rivet gun runs about $20. The aluminum will cost much more than wood but you won't have to worry about rot or corrosion.

I have searched the forum, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, where is a good place to acquire rivets from?

Lowes and Home Depot both sell aluminum rivets, and they sell rivet guns as well. At least at my local stores, both places have the 360 degree rotating rivet gun on sale for $18 or so if I remember right. I haven't used mine but I've tested it and it works great.

I'd skip the outdoor turf carpet. That's what was on my boat when I bought it, at least parts of my boat, and while I don't know how old it was, it wasn't holding up well. The outdoor/marine carpet I bought at Lowes is very good, and I bought enough to do a 14' boat for under $50.

I would check out the carpet from Cabela's. They have a lot of different colors and price ranges to choose from. I have heard the best thing to do is to also use 1/2 inch mildew resistant carpet padding. It come with some type of cellophane over it. I have heard and read that your carpet will look better and last longer. I am going to be doing that soon to my jon boat and was wondering if what I had heard and read was true. Anybody have any first-hand knowledge? Thanks

weaselbob74 said:
Cheeseball said:

I have searched the forum, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, where is a good place to acquire rivets from?

Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores, maybe even Wallyworld?

My boat had the stuff from Lowe's in it when I bought it and it wasn't bad....but I decided to use the stuff from Cabelas. I think it was called "Deluxe" about $15 a lineal yard(x6ft) which I thought wasn't to badly priced. It seamed to be a little bit nice than the stuff a Lowe's but cost a hair more too. I just put it in last month so I can't attest to the durability yet.

Hanr3 said:
If you use wood, stain or paint it to keep rot at bay. Pressure treated wood will react with aluminum and the costic reaction eats holes in the aluminum. Avoid pressure treated wod where it makes contact with aluminum.

As for the carpet, dont get anything with loops, your hooks WILL get hung up in the loop and you wil send more time than you care trying to free it, only to complete the job with a knife.

What is the difference between Marine Plywood, and Pressure Treated Plywood?

Marine plywood is a grade of plywood, generally with no voids and more layers to strengthen it.

Presure treated is a process to preserve thew wood with chemicals.

Generally marine plywood is not pressure treated.

I'm not sure what it's called, but I am impressed with the plywood I am using that I got from Lowes. I think it has something to do with "outdoor" in the name. Basically there is an approximately $9 sheet of plywood that is full of voids, knots and stuff, and there is what I used, which is about $20. It is much more straight and flat, and has very few if any knots and voids. It is very obviously not pressure treated- other than it not being marked as such, it is the typical wood color instead of the dark pressure treated color. Just coat the whole thing with Thompsons Water Seal, and I went as far as coating all of the edges with a layer of Liquid Nails.

Latest posts