Angled board cuts for bracing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
What is the best way to cut precise angled board cuts so each wood bracing piece is flush against each other. Also, if I wanted to use a board as bracing and connect that board to the curvature of the inside of my boat, what is the best way to get that precise curvature measurement to make my cut? I understand that for actual decking, I can use a cardboard template but I am alittle stumped on the bracing and getting a good fitting cut. I have a bracing idea in my head but don't know how to get it to fit with the curvature of the boat.

Why not use cardboard for that as well? Instead of having the cardboard laying flat(like you would for your decking), turn the cardboard up on its side and trace the curve of the inside of the hull onto your cardboard, then transfer that onto the end of your board your gonna be using for bracing?

for the angle, measure the top where the top of your brace will be to the other side... then measure the bottome the same way.

So, if your top length is 54" (from one side to the other), and your bottom measurement is 36", then the difference between the top and bottom is 18" - meaning you will have 9" to cut off the bottom side.

When you figure out the height, you will start at the top of your angle, measure down the height between top and bottom, then measure over 9" and mark that as your starting point for the floor.

hold on, I'll draw you a pic... errr... maybe not - photobucket is not working for me right now

russ, let me know if you end up being able to use photobucket.
crazyman, what kind of compass do you use? I am assuming you are talking about a special craft or wood cuting compass..?

I use a free hand method. Place a scrap piece in position (where you want it), then using your hand, finger, wrist, wahtever, trace the contour of hte surface to the board via a pencil. Similar to a scribe just quicker and easier. The key to the trace is to mantain the same distance from teh side of the boat to the line your drawing.

It was easier to find a video to explain it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy42CAmVFYE&feature=PlayList&p=CF88DCE6D76D9C5C&index=2

Same principle for the boat.

Try using pink foam for templates. You can pick up a sheet of it for a few bucks and it will hold its shape and is easy to cut over and over and over as you refine your sloppy angles and when they are finally like you want the foam will hold its shape for ya as you move it to your wood.

Latest posts