NEW PROJECT??!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
I just found a boat at a boat dealer. 14 foot semi v, no trailer for $300. I think I want it.
It is 50" across the gunwhales, and has no capacity plate. it was registered as a rowboat, and I think its a deal because I need a boat and just saw this one in person.(Forgot to take pics #-o )

I should be able to deck it, right?

Yes.Anything can be done to it.All it takes is fabrication and patience.My father and I put a floor in his(which is mine now) 20yrs ago,It is still there.I really need to restore that old boat,it just sits there in the yard,not being used.

Got some pics today. I just learned that there is a small patch on the bottom that seems to be holding well on the inside, just not the outside. I saw the hole, about a 1.5-2" crack that was covered in some sort of cement. The outside cement is peeling off. Is this fixable without welding?

There is also no ring on the keel to attach the winch strap to. Is this also a big project? Can it be done without welding too?Inside crack location.jpg

Attachments

• 1108091221a.jpg
    1108091221a.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 1108091221b.jpg
    1108091221b.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 478
  • 1108091222a.jpg
    1108091222a.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 1108091222b.jpg
    1108091222b.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 1108091222c.jpg
    1108091222c.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 478
  • The Crack.jpg
    The Crack.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 478
Wal-mart sells some great stuff called "water weld" for like 5 bucks a tube. Its made by the same people who make jb weld. All you have to do is cut off your desired amount, squish it in your hands, slap some on your boat, wait 20 minutes, and then your off! After it hardens, you can drill it, weld it, or repatch it. Ha i always joke my boat is half aluminum and half water weld. :eek:

Here is a pic of the best option you could do for a permanent repair without welding it. I would drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it from spreading and then cut a patch to cover it about 1" on all sides and rivet & 5200.

https://www.shareaproject.com/pages/imageDetail,p,482,i,8170,00.html

you've got a bow eye... it's in between the two hand handles on the front... I saw it in the 3rd pic down

russ010 said:
you've got a bow eye... it's in between the two hand handles on the front... I saw it in the 3rd pic down

That's it? I thought it was an eye on the keel... will its placement affect the performance of the winch?

bandgeek1263 said:
russ010 said:

That's it? I thought it was an eye on the keel... will its placement affect the performance of the winch?

From the looks of it(can't tell much from your pics), It looks as if that is the reason the bow roller is up so high, because that eye is located at the top of the keel. Shouldn't make a difference as long as your winch is placed properly.

The trailer its on isn't for that boat. The dealership just put it there... so, I don't need to replace this bow eye? I just found a replacement on BP.

Yup. Sure will be, I'm only thirteen and have been looking forever for a decent project to start with. My main concern at the moment is the fact that is doesn't have a capacity plate, which may be need for the registration in Mass.

Well CONGRATS IF YOU GET IT!!! When I recently purchased MY first boat, the capacity plate had (presumably) vibrated off. The old screw/nail had finally given up the ghost and fallen out of the transom wood (granted it was mostly illegible). I happened to find it jammed under a floor rib, under a seat, so look around, you may find it. If you haven't searched https://www.craigslist.com, I recommend it. There is EVERYTHING for sale on there. Keep your eyes peeled and you should find a good deal out there. My best advice is to be patient, and don't jump on the first thing that fits your budget (regardless of how high or low it is) because you may get yourself a problem boat instead of a pleasure boat. Just think, the longer you go w/o a boat, the more time you have to save up money, to get a bigger, more complete, or more fitting boat for your wants/needs. While you waiting if you want a good read, I also recommend "Outboard Boater's Handbook" (ISBN: 0-07-023053-6) by David R. Getchell. If anybook will get yer creative mind going... THIS WILL!!! Search my posts for pictures of my green boat, aka "Toads Wild Ride". Good LUCK!!!

bandgeek1263 said:
Yup. Sure will be, I'm only thirteen and have been looking forever for a decent project to start with. My main concern at the moment is the fact that is doesn't have a capacity plate, which may be need for the registration in Mass.

Check with your state to find out how much registration costs and then find out from the dealer how much they will charge you to register the boat. For an extra $20/$30 you might be better off letting them handle the paperwork.

Latest posts