Can you mix paint to darken color?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint my boat and the paint that I bought is not as dark as I would like. Can I mix some black with it to change the shade? The paint is supposed to be a dark green but looks more like a brighter John Deere color.

im not sure about paint but when i mix worm colors I try to stay away from black to darken colors since it changes the color to an off-gray before darkening the color. Instead i use pumpkinseed (reddish brown) which 99 percent of the time will give me a darker shade of my original color.

Paint always looks lighter than it is when it is wet. Paint a small piece of something, let it dry, then see what the color really is.

Yes you can use black to make your green paint a darker shade of green. White paint to make it a lighter shade of green. Blue and yellow combined make green. I gather oyu bought the paint from a paint store, take it back and ask them to make it a shade or two darker. They should be able to scan a color swatch and compare it to a color your after, the puter will compare the two and tell the tech which color and how much to add to get the color you want. He may have to add a combination of black/blue and maybe a touch of white to get the shade you want.

If you just want to mix it at home, black will give your a darker color- more towards a black green. If you add a dark blue youll get a draker green more towards the blue side.

When you reply to this thread notice the Font colour bar on the right side. Teh bottom grid is mostly red/yellow, the next grid up has a touch of blue added, as you get to the top grid black has been added. There are only 4 color in that grid, cmyk.
c=cyan=blue
m=magenta=red
y=yellow
k=black.

Latest posts