1036 alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canoeguy

Reaction score
Anybody load their jons on top of a car (with a rack)? I am looking into buying a 10' jon but I am not sure if I will be able to load it on top of the car by myself. It seems like most 1032's are 80lbs but I would like to buy the Alumacraft 1036 for the extra stability. What problems would I have putting a 4-5hp outboard on a 10' when it is rated for a 3hp max? Thanks for your help.

:WELCOME: canoeguy!

Putting the boat on top of the rack will get old real quick in my opinion especially if you fish by yourself. Not because of the weight, but because of the awkward size. The hassle to load the boat, motor, fishing gear, every time you want to go fishing....you will end up taking the canoe.

The hp rating is there for safety reasons. Your best bet is to find out what the local law says about overpowering a boat. I know its not that much of a difference, but you don't want to get into trouble either.

I would save a few bucks, throw a small trailer hitch on the back of your car and then get a small trailer to tow the boat you plan on buying. Towing a jon is nothing for any vehicle in my opinion.

When I got my 1236, I intended to put it on my camper and not get another trailer. It actually worked really well as the camper provided a flat, broad surface to set the boat on. I didn't need anything special, just dense foam pads to protect the camper. The trouble with that idea is that I go fishing a lot more than I go camping. I looked into some contraptions that were designed to help one person get a boat on top of a vehicle. It seems to me that by the time you get done spending the $ on the contraption you'll be well on your way towards the cost of a trailer. And, Jim is right about the motor, etc. It's not a major hassle to have to do and undo every time you go out, but it still takes time. The one thing I found I liked the least was having the motor in my Jeep because inevitably there were gas fumes. I don't know how old you are, but at my age lifting an 80# boat above my head wouldn't last too long. I'd spend more time in traction than fishing...

Thanks for your input guys. I know that I would be able to tow a little jon with the car but storing the trailer/boat would be an issue. I have a single car garage that is about 17ft in length, maybe it would fit but I would think with the trailer tongue and the boat hanging in the back it most likely wouldn't. I am looking into buying something in the next few months. Hopefully I'll have something figured out for spring. Thanks again.

For the question about the motor it is more about weight than about hp in my opinion. I had a 1032 with a 4 hp evinrude from '82 and it did fine but the motor only weighed about 40 lbs. a new 4 stroke motor that is only 4 hp weighs 58 lbs compared to a new 4 stroke 3 hp which weighs 38 lbs. A 10ft with a trailer will fit fine in your garage. I had a 1542 with a 25 on the back and on a trailer and it fit in my two car garage that is 19 1/2 ft long while sitting next to two motorcycle and some bikes

We did it when I was a kid and I hated every minute of it. I did not mind the fishing part but loading the boat on the car and then loading all the gear was a real pain.

we cartop our boat exclusivly. when i had my 12 footer me and my wife would go fishing 3 times a week. we downsized to a 10 footer(something we can hide in our shed) and its about 20 pounds lighter and even lighter with removable seats. you can use foam pads on the gunnels(?) of your boat and put it on upside down, but expect to scratch the hell out of your car. it all depends on how bad you want to fish and what you have for resorces. i cant afford a truck and my condo acc. wont let me have a trailer on my property but this is what we do. we get alot of comments going down the road. a canoe would be easyer if your loading/unloading it yourself.

Attachments

• boat 002.JPG
    boat 002.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 1,425

Latest posts