Trolling Motor Powered RACE CANOE?!?!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlumaDude

Reaction score
So I'm bored tonight, and too lazy to work on my sick Johnson outboard or my Malibu drag car project. I'm looking around and I spot my forgotten trolling motor in the corner. The GEARS started turning in my head. I'm planning on buying a canoe (Alumacraft 17' with square stern) and I thought "I wonder what kind of trolling motor power would be required to make this Canoe REALLY FLY around"? :twisted: (safety not an issue outside of life jackets etc...)? 28 pounds of thrust, 55? Can a trolling motor make ANY boat plane??? What do you think? I may have to divert some of my Malibu fund to experiment. I mean think about it... A sporty fishing vessel that requires NO fuel and can travel in shallow water on almost any body of water??? I'm thinkin along the lines of 50hp on a 10ft boat (you get the idea; stupid power to weight ratio)... I'm curious.

General info question though. Would a 55pound thrust motor push a boat around FASTER than a 30pound trust motor on the same boat (assuming identical prop specs?)???

I had a 48lb thrust on a 17' Roylex Wenonaha spirit II for a number of years. Before that I had a 3hp Johnson on it. I would take the Johnson over the electric any day of the week.

You won't get an electric trolling motor to make that canoe "fly"...You would have to put a small gas motor to make it even think about flying.

I honestly don't think there is a ton of difference between a 30lb TM and a 55lb. I have been beside a buddies crawdad with a 55lb and me in my 1236 with a 30lb...and there is very little difference as far as "speed". Although I think the 55lb would hold in swift water better than mine.

I've seen some stuff where guys have taken those briggs and stratton e-tek 15 hp electric motors and done some crazy stuff, but they run them off 48 volts.

you can get a little more speed from your trolling motor if you loosen up the screws behind the prop and rotate the magnet housing. with the motor running at middle speed(top speed can throw a winding), rotate the maganet housing until the motor speeds up and the screws start to rub on the stator. snug them up until the rubbing stops, this may take a couple trys if your going for maximum advance. ive run my minn kota 32# trolling motor like this all season. you will gain more thrust too at the expence of reduced run time. you could also modify a nissan 2.5-3.5hp 7x7 composite prop to fit. the stock prop has a pitch of 4".
also, dont run the motor out of water at full speed. the windings on minn kota motors arent that tight and can come out of the grooves. if anyones really interested i could post pictures or a video of what im talking about.

I have NO CLUE what you're talking about! HA HA HA!!! Please post some video's or pictures to help me out... I'm REALLY curious now!

Something like this?

https://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/accessory_details/accessory_evolve.html

Outback_eVOLVE.jpg

or this?

https://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14_volt.cfm

lg_Ult14volt_3Q_down.jpg

ok, here goes. camera batteries are dead so everything is blurry.
loosen these 2 screws about 3 turns;
then, on medium speed, turn the magnet housing counterclockwise until you hear the bolts rubbing on the stator.
shut off the motor and snug the bolts down. this will usualy stop the rubbing.
you can turn the bushing housing a little further wich will allow you to turn the magnet housing a little more without the bolts rubbing on the stator.
do not run at full speed out of water!!!
this is an old electric r/c car trick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHLEm934rA
the rpm increase doesnt sound like much on speed 3 but there is a dramatic difference in top speed rpms on speed 5.

Attachments

• spped 003.JPG
    spped 003.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,814
  • speed2 001.JPG
    speed2 001.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,813
The hull speed is going to determine the top speed.
Unless you can get on plane,the speed isn't going to increase much,just push more water.

Run a little SPRAY on my outboard??? I'm going in a new direction now!! HA HA HA!!! That would be SWEET! I wonder if it's been done???

Bugpac said:
A 30 or 55 isnt gonna do squat, Put a 101 or 2 on there and it will plane...
Maybe if the prop. is manipulated or different prop.
There not made for speed....it's a power thing.

Zum said:
Bugpac said:
A 30 or 55 isnt gonna do squat, Put a 101 or 2 on there and it will plane...
Maybe if the prop. is manipulated or different prop.
There not made for speed....it's a power thing.

The prop is going to be your problem. It is designed to push water, not for speed. Make your own, or fit a 13 pitch to it and you might have a chance with the lightweight canoe and the 55lb. I thought the 55lb motor was somewhere between 1/2 to 1 horsepower.

But I'm no expert.

On my 17' aluminum canoe I sometimes run a Minnkota Endura 30lb motor on a good 12V battery. Speed is about 2-2.5MPH. Fine for small water but no range at all on bigger water.

Get some kind of little self contained gas motor

Latest posts