I know it ain't a tin but......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
Need the opinions of the fellas here. I'm looking at a 1979 Procraft bass boat with a 115 Johsnon, $1000.00. Motor runs good and was recently serviced (according to owner). He's gonna let me take it out and check it out one day soon. Seems to be a decent boat. I'm looking to get into the big lakes around here and the 14ft elec. tin won't do because of all the pleasure boaters. I think I would get swamped. Does anyone have any experience with these boats? What kinda stuff do I need to look at/for on a glass boat.

Procraft makes a good boat, I would take a close look up under the hull and look for signs of any damage, walk all around and check the floor for weak spots. Check the transom area for any cracking, push down on the motor and lift up see if the transom flexes. Then watch the motor and transom for flex when you try it out on the water. If the motor runs out good and you see no issues I would jump on it. Early Procraft rode sort of deep in the water like the early Rangers, people around here years ago bought Procraft if they could not afford a Ranger.

Flintcreek.

Transom, fuel tanks and the outboard would be my biggest concern.
Flex & rot in the transom, how old the tanks are & are they full of sludge and if the motor is truely in good shape.

If you have soft spots in the floor OR the floor has been replaced you can assume that the stringers are going to have water damage too. If the transom is wet and/or rotted and the floor is soft or has been replaced its almost a given that the stringers are rotted. Even if they are covered in fiberglass they probably are no good.

If the boat has been stored inside and the transom is sold and the floor is solid and original then this problem is likely not of concern.

Latest posts