Underwater obstacles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I found one today. It was a nice day in No. Illinois so I went for a little cruise on a new to me part of the fox river. I was in down town East/West Dundee just north of Rt 72 when I hit something under the water. Not a ripple or rapid on the surface but it stopped me hard. It did a little damage to the prop, but no vibrations on the way back to the ramp. I have a Macs river runner so that helped. On my way home I drove by that part of the fox there was no sign of anything under the water waiting to try and sink you.

I know what you are talking about. Where I fish alot it is covered with stumps above and below the water line (Santee, Lake Marion), when the Southern Bassmasters were here the last day at weigh in one of the pro's did not fair well and the announcer asked him about his trip and he said" I've been stump juming all week and just glad to take my boat home in one piece) :lol:

I mapquested that part of the river you can clearly see a large rectangular object in the river. There are 3 objects in the water the other 2 are tall enough that they are above the water level. The picture was taken in the summer when the water level is lower, rite now the river is up due to the lowering of the chain o lakes for winter.

So you were between the dam at 72 and the dam at Carpentersville?

Where did you launch?

I have fished below 72 from Voyagers Landing at 90 on the west bank and above the cville dam from Fox River Shores ramp on the east bank. I've done both stretches in my canoe and my boat.

I put in at Voyageur and headed north with the intent of reaching the C-ville dam. I went under the bridge at RT72 and just before reaching the foot bridge is where I hit it.
What is the huge round concrete thing rite at the foot bridge?

No clue what is there. I have not taken a boat or a canoe under 72 and headed north. Where are you in Algonquin? I also live in Algonquin.

I keep a 17' canoe and a 90HP 17' crestliner in the garage.

>>1969 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5HP

You have this engine? I *just* sold my 1966 Sportwin on Craigslist a few weeks ago. I've had it for years and years. Could no longer come up with a compelling reason to keep it. Got $350 for a good running 43 year old motor. Some dude in Crystal lake bought it.

Yeah that would have been nice you can see it in the pictures from space.
When you put in a fox river shores and head towards the dam there are 2 metal sign post sticking out of the water. My guess is at one time there was a sign warning of the dam ahead but now the sign is gone leaving just the post. I told a Kane county forest preserve police about it last year he said he would tell the DNR about it so far it's still not marked.

Latest posts