bored and thinking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashua fisherman

Reaction score
a freind of mine is giving me a horazontal shaft 7hp briggs and straton motor so i thought i would try and build myself a long tail mud motor. my main concern is that it be light and be able to run through thick vegitation. researching other homemade mud motors i found that if i run the motor backwards(compared to conventional mud motors) and use a chain drive i can run a conventional prop(clockwise). this will also allow me to vary the final drive ratio if i over/under prop the motor. i was thinking of making it all aluminum and my design doesnt require any welding. i have access to a machine shop. this is what i have so far. any comments would be apreciated. i decided not to tear my boat up yet. drivetrain would be simular tyo this;

Attachments

• chain drive.jpg
    chain drive.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 1a6_5HHHHHPPPP%20001.jpg
    1a6_5HHHHHPPPP%20001.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 673
nashua fisherman said:
a freind of mine is giving me a horazontal shaft 7hp briggs and straton motor so i thought i would try and build myself a long tail mud motor. my main concern is that it be light and be able to run through thick vegitation. researching other homemade mud motors i found that if i run the motor backwards(compared to conventional mud motors) and use a chain drive i can run a conventional prop(clockwise). this will also allow me to vary the final drive ratio if i over/under prop the motor. i was thinking of making it all aluminum and my design doesnt require any welding. i have access to a machine shop. this is what i have so far. any comments would be apreciated. i decided not to tear my boat up yet. drivetrain would be simular tyo this;

Another advantage would be that you can swap out the motor with another one and your mud motor drivetrain should be an easy conversion.

I found a Go Devil frame in a flee market about 10 years ago for 50.00. This was an original long tail and mounted a v2 kohler 16 hp. Had to by a bearing kit and prop. It was great in the marsh. I see many of the same in La and Ms craigslist.

Frank

Latest posts