Quick Question...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sureshot

Reaction score
Okay so I got my Tin back in June, its a 1446. I have great plans for her and would love to get startted on my mods - but one problem. The first thing I want to do is paint her. I stripped the entire bottom, and that was probably one of the worst types of jobs I have ever done, and still havent moved any further on stripping.

My question now is:

Is it necessary to strip her before I paint her. I would love to paint it and just move on because I feel like this is stopping me from working. :(

Any comments are appreciated. :)

Don't think you would have to strip the entire thing if the paint is in decent condition. Could probably just rough it up and paint over the old stuff. That stripping paint is a big job.

Ya,just rough-up the existing paint(as long as it is good shape),prime the
bare spots with zinc c. and paint away.

If you have used a chemical stripper, I'm not sure I would feel very comfortable about painting over existing paint that has been exposed to that. If you've just been sanding or wire wheeling, I'm sure the new paint will stick to it fine if you have removed the loose stuff. If you are talking about the areas you haven't tried to strip yet, I would just make sure the loose paint is off, and then make sure to use self etching primer before you paint. I've seen first hand with my boat the results of painting without primer. The previous owner did that on much of the inside, and one or two swipes with a piece of sandpaper and poof- the paint is gone. Much of it peeled off on it's own already.

Thanks for the replies.

Whats the difference between zinc chromate and a self etching primer? or are they the same things.

Thanks for the info - it was very releaving.. My methods of stripping varied. I did some with a wire wheel and some with Klean - Strip. So i figure if i just flip her over, spray her off and wash her a couple times I should be good after i rough up the old paint. I believe that would remove all the stripper, or would it not?

I think you'll be fine. From my experience, you'll be able to identify loose or compromised paint. Some of mine that didn't come off but still had chemical in it stayed kind of gooey. It will make sense to you when you get to that point.

Walmart sells rattle cans of self etching primer for I think $4.77, it took 3 cans and some change to do the underside of my boat, if I remember correctly.

I do think there is a difference in the 2 types of primers, but someone who knows more about it will need to chime in for ya.

I'm with Hydrilla on the spray bombs from walmart for the etching primer. Same deal here, about $4.50 a can and it took between 3-4 cans to do my 14 footer.

Awesome, Ill finish her this weeken, maybe I'll start the painting process.

Ill start a link to my build when I get her started.

:mrgreen:

Thanks again

So this passed weekend I took a trip out to walmart to get my primer, but I came home empty handed. I wasn't sure what primer to but or which primer was the etching primer. Can you tell me the name or brand or a link to an Image. I want to make sure I buy the right stuff. I want this to turn out good.

My Wal-Mart didn't carry it when I went to look, I'm guessing you're in the same boat(no pun intended). I was able to get mine a a local auto parts store. I think it was Dura...something. Just called Self-Etching Primer.

Thanks again for all the help, Ill head back out there and see if I can find me some of that exact stuff.. Ill post my mod once I get passed this part.

Sureshot said:
So this passed weekend I took a trip out to walmart to get my primer, but I came home empty handed. I wasn't sure what primer to but or which primer was the etching primer. Can you tell me the name or brand or a link to an Image. I want to make sure I buy the right stuff. I want this to turn out good.

My walmart doesn't have it either. So went to a few auto stores and all of them carry it. Auto Zone had the best price i could find. it is about $6 and it is made by Rust-oleum.

here is a link to my post which has a pic of the can.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10952&start=30

ps from my research self etching primer is the only thing that will stick to aluminum.

be careful some store want as much as $18 a can.

Latest posts