Rebuilding transom 14m seanymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinfisher

Reaction score
:)
I'll be replacing the old ,probably original, wood on my 14 sea nymph. My question is should I just go with the same type of material or is there something I should do to up-grade it?? Should I try and raise it? It can go up about an 1-1/2" and the motor will be about equal to the bottom of the boat. Would there be an increase in the speed/handling? I'm getting 20mph with just me (185# :roll: ) and I'm pleased with that.I'll be adding a deck over the front this spring and a side mounted shelf to hold my FF, not alot of weight but some! Let me know what you guys think, thanks for all your opinions! Spin

Exterior grade plywood in the same thickness or multiple pieces glued together to reach the same thickness will work. Seal it with a good water sealer and you should be fine. You can raise it as others have done. Read through the build links. I think I recall seeing a few that have done that.

You should raise the transom so your cavitation plate is even or a little above the bottom.Just don't go too high where your motor doesn't pump water.I used spar varnish to water proof my transom board.

crazymanme2 said:
I used spar varnish to water proof my transom board.
I use spar varnish on all my boat transoms. While I will simply put a water sealer on wooden decks, transoms always get 4 coats of spar varnish.

:)
Thanks for the suggestions, I did pull out the old wood on sunday. It looks to be original, but well delaminated. I coated the SH%$^t out of it, so it should be well sealed. As far as the heighth I did raise it about an 1-1/2" which puts it right at the bottom of th hull. I'll see how this works, I'm not looking for speed (now I get 20mph)as much as I'm looking for clearence! I fish the American River here in Sacto. and there is a change in flows which could lower and raise the level of water. Just don't want to cause any undo damage. Thanks Again, Spin

Latest posts