Who has the oldest boat here ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
Yesterday morning at the local boat ramp, I saw a guy in a tiny little tin boat (maybe 10 or 11ft) with a VERY old motor. Late 60's I believe. An Evinrude. While launching my own boat, the guy pulls the cord "1 time"..... and bam ! It starts ! And it kept running too ! And it was pretty cold morning at that ! Now, I'm not going to kid you guys.... It didn't sound great, and it smoked quite a bit. But like I said to the owner of that little old boat > Just wait and see if any of these pretty, fancy, EXPENSIVE, new outboards are still running 40 years from now ! I hate to say it, but seriously doubt they will be.

Heck, mines not even 2 years old, and running like crap :-( I got the gasket replaced for my water jacket..... but apparently, my carb was sucking quite a bit of water, for quite a long time before I realized I had a problem. I knew this had caused some corrosion on some of the exterior carb parts, but I guess the inside has gotten just as bad, or worse :-(
Good news is, it's under warranty, and rather than rebuild it, they are just going to put a brand spanking new carburator on my motor, for me.

Oh.... and the other good news is, after bumping the idle up a bit, it doesn't die now...... and above 2500 rpms, it runs great ! :) So, the fish are not going to be safe tommorrow :) Still can't wait for the new carb though.

Peace,
Fish

What brand engine do you have Mr. Fish Chris. Is this a common problem or are you just the luckey one?

A two year old engine is carburated? I though all OB engines were now fuel injected? I have not own a carburated engine in over 10 years

esquired said:
A two year old engine is carburated? I though all OB engines were now fuel injected? I have not own a carburated engine in over 10 years

Yup! Fuel injection is not mainstream just yet, especially on little motors.

My boat is a 1970 and my outboard is a 1961....and the outboard still runs great! :D

Actually, the outboard mechanic I'm dealing with, told me that, unfortunately, these blown water jacket gaskets on Yamaha 4 strokes, were quite common, while pointing at a big boat with twin 150's, and explaining that one of these had a small leak, and the other one is spraying ! But then he did go on to say, that he had never seen this on a little Yamaha 4 stroker of 25hp or less. So in that respect, maybe I was the "lucky one".

One things for sure, when I get this carb replaced, and the motor running correctly again, I plan to remove that cowling every 2nd or 3rd trip, just to inspect for leaks.... of whatever type.

My lesson was, "Don't ASSUME" that your motor is all good, because its running good".

Peace,
Fish

I have a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke, 02, and it has a carb. if it dont, I've been fogging the wrong place :)

I bought my setup from BoatMechanic and as you see by his name, he is a boat mechanic. My outboard has been well taken care of and it runs like a charm! I check out my whole rig after I get back from fishing just to make sure everything is good.

Well, as far as who's boat is the oldest, like the thread said, ACarbone has me beat. At the current, my oldest boat is a 1974. Had a 13 footer from the mid 50s for a while, and a Grumman canoe, from sometime before the 60s, for a while, but they are since gone. But, even though the thread said boats, you sounded more like you were talking about the motor. Then, I assume it is safe to say I have one. How does a 1936 OMC 4.3 horse sound? Sure, it isn't running, but there is no reason it shouldn't. Just for grins, I will list my outboards here.
1936 OMC 4.3 horse
1955 Johnson 3 horse
1968 Evinrude 55
1971 Johnson 50
1974 Evinrude 40
1979 Johnson 55
1988 Evinrude 4 deluxe.
Now, you notice they are all OMCs? (Evinrude and Johnson were part of OMC, and almost identical motors)
The old 3s are the absolute best motors ever made. I would be willing to bet that this one will outlive me, and I haven't even opened the cowling yet, (picked it up Sunday) The 4 deluxes are arguably the second best. Mine is a little finicky on a cold start, after sitting for more than a week or so. You have to give it 3 pulls without choke, to loosen things up, then the fourth one will spin freely. It will always start on the fourth or fifth. If it is cold, but has been run within a week, it will start on the first pull with choke. It idles (more like purs) to the point that I have gotten complements by people that own newer motors. Then, it will run all day, and not miss a beat. And, I would consider it a newer motor. I wouldn't want one much newer (as far as small to medium goes - I wouldn't turn down a newer V4) Once we get a little work in them, the other 6 should be the same way. Really no reason why they shouldn't.

The older motors are more reliable for one reason. They are simpler. Fewer things that can go wrong. The old ones (pre 70 on larger motors, and I believe 75 on smaller ones - I am talking OMCs here, as I don't care a flip about mercs, and especially dislike four strokes) have points. Sure, they are a pain to calibrate, but they are very simple, and easy to fix/replace. Carbed engines are much simpler to use/repair. I can tear down, and rebuild a twin cylinder carb, for 30 bucks, in less than half an hour. I am sure the fuel injection is going to be costlier, or more time consuming.
The death of the newer outboards is probably going to be the electronics. They just can't yet be made to withstand the harsh marine world, for a long period of time. And, with pieces being made more cheaply, they will be the downfall too. Not to mention the pain some are to service.
It is very common to see outboards from the 50s out running, as someones main motor. If they are taken care of, there is no reason they cannot be kept running for well over 100 years from when they are made. I just can't see the new ones doing that.

BTW, I have pictures of the 1955, and the 1936 up in the free talk forum.

I can't compete with some of the things right above me but here's an old 1968 t-bird. Who here remembers Flipper??

Attachments

• t-bird.JPG
    t-bird.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,135
I saw flipper the other day while fishing:

flipper.jpg

Latest posts