big jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadkill280

Reaction score
i just found this site and was needing some help.i am wanting to build a 16 to 20 jon boat thats 7 to 8 feet wide.i cant find a good used one at all around east ,tn.and i thought about building a large wooden one.anybody got any tips on how to build one or have one in tn.for sale.thanks,and any help will be greatly appreciated.lee

Here's the link to the mod member zoeconnor made of the boat he cut length-wise: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3034

We haven't heard from him since his last visit in Dec. 2008.
headscratch_shrug_smilie.gif

roadkill280 said:
i just found this site and was needing some help.i am wanting to build a 16 to 20 jon boat thats 7 to 8 feet wide.i cant find a good used one at all around east ,tn.and i thought about building a large wooden one.anybody got any tips on how to build one or have one in tn.for sale.thanks,and any help will be greatly appreciated.lee

I'm not so sure I'd build a wooden one, if I were you. True wooden boats take a LOT of maintenance and upkeep, and have lots of disadvantages for most uses a large jon would be used for. You may want to look into a lightweight fiberglass hull. PM "Rat" about those. He apparently knows a bit about them. The newer fiberglass skiff methods apparently produce a light and tough hull (unlike the old ones), but I personally wouldn't mess with them.

Have any MIG welding knowledge? Make a welded aluminum one. Let me know if you are interested in that route, and I'll post a little more info on that.

Aluminum would be ideal for your ideas. The cost of al might be high but no rot, no paint, easy to fix. How much power do you want? All it takes is cubic dollars. Look for a used Monark work hull. Might be cheaper.

Frank

i do have some welding experience,so that would not be a problem.i know that aluminum is not cheap.also,that could hold me back.i own a sawmill and thought about a cedar boat to float high,be light,and red cedar wont rot either.i just need all the help i can get right now either way.would love to find a commercial jon boat 18 or 20 long.

does anybody have any plans for a big jon boat,i cant find anything but 10 to 15 footer plans all in narrow widths.needing something bigger to scale out with.thanks.

Latest posts