reconsidering vinyl flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I've been trying to make a decision between carpet and vinyl flooring since I got my boat. I'm not a big fan of vacuuming my boat, and I tend to get it really dirty, so I'm leaning toward vinyl again. My main concern is with the hatches.

If I go with vinyl, it seems as if I would be able to wrap it around the sides of the hatches very easily. I worry about just cutting it flush with the hatch, because it will probably tend to peel up.

Anyone have experience with it? It seems like it could either be a life saver or a big waste of time and money..

I'm leaning towards vinyl for mine, and I'm curious if those black plastic trim pieces that are designed to wrap openings in aluminum wouldn't be a good solution.

I just keep picturing the family dog going sliding acroos the kitchen floor while chasing the cat and can see myself slipping and busting my arse...

dyeguy1212 said:
who the what now?
It's like weather stripping. It's used alot on new jon boats around cut outs in the aluminum. My live well had it as well.
Ranchero50 said:
I just keep picturing the family dog going sliding acroos the kitchen floor while chasing the cat and can see myself slipping and busting my arse...
The stuff I've seen is textured. It's not slick like in a kitchen vinyl.

danmyersmn said:
If you want to see it find a G3 dealer and go look at some of the new boat. G3 has a few models with vinyl floors.

As do some of the Trackers at my local Bass Pro

It's like the protective edge molding on your car door.

The vinyl flooring for boats has the same texture as a sprayed in liner.

dyeguy1212 said:
I've been trying to make a decision between carpet and vinyl flooring since I got my boat. I'm not a big fan of vacuuming my boat, and I tend to get it really dirty, so I'm leaning toward vinyl again. My main concern is with the hatches.

If I go with vinyl, it seems as if I would be able to wrap it around the sides of the hatches very easily. I worry about just cutting it flush with the hatch, because it will probably tend to peel up.

Anyone have experience with it? It seems like it could either be a life saver or a big waste of time and money..

I don't have experience working with vinyl but I have purchased some for my project. In the places I cannot wrap around edges, I plan on cutting the vinyl flush with the edge and then trimming with thin aluminum angle. I'll post pics to my thread when finished.

Latest posts