Stick Steer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfouty

Reaction score
I've been looking at used boats in my area and ran across a "stick steer". It is a Lowe 162ss with 30hp Mercury, can anyone explain the purpose of this type of steering, pros and cons would be appreciated. My uneducated guess is that the boat is designed for water with lots of obstructions since you control the boat from the bow seat. A friend told me it was an upgrade option from tiller steering, with the next option console/wheel steering. After looking at the boat, I threw his idea out, looks like the stick steer in the front would be more expensive that a console in the middle or back. Lots of extra length in control cables and wiring. Thanks, Todd

I had one years ago, they are a lot of fun to drive. It's like a motorized surfboard when you running from the front. You can do it all up front and never have to switch seats, drive, operate the trolling motor, and fish.

tfouty said:
I've been looking at used boats in my area and ran across a "stick steer". It is a Lowe 162ss with 30hp Mercury, can anyone explain the purpose of this type of steering, pros and cons would be appreciated. My uneducated guess is that the boat is designed for water with lots of obstructions since you control the boat from the bow seat. A friend told me it was an upgrade option from tiller steering, with the next option console/wheel steering. After looking at the boat, I threw his idea out, looks like the stick steer in the front would be more expensive that a console in the middle or back. Lots of extra length in control cables and wiring. Thanks, Todd

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8277 That's my link, I put SS on my 16' Mon Ark jon boat.

I mostly go by myself, so I put the steering in the middle of boat for better weight distribution. I found mine on Craigslist, it cost my MUCH less than I thought and it was completely new and he paid for shipping (2 day). Pretty awesome deal, works like a charm and I would not want to go back to tiller steering. I love just turn and go, slow down, grab a rod and fish.

I have stick steering in my Gheenoe and love it, when i bought the Gheenoe it was located in front however running around the intercoastal i didn't like how low the bow sat in the water with my big but up front so i moved it to the center. I miss haveing it up front where i could work the trolling motor or outboard without ever moving, but it gets a little hairy when taking on wake from a 40+ foot boat.

gheenoedh2.jpg