New member with ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Just thought that I would stop in and say hi. Also have a question, I am looking at buying a new jon boat within the next year or soand I was just wondering about a couple of things.

This boat will be used mostly for pan fishing, cat fishing, and maybe a little bit of bass fishing, I am really leaning towards a G3 1648 jon boat but not sure if a flat bottom boat would be good for this type of fishing or I need to be looking at a semi-v boat. I am on pretty tight budget so I am thinking a riveted jon is the way to go.

It will be used on some electric motor only lake and a horsepower restricted lake and a couple of man made resevoirs.

What are your thoughts on this boat? and maybe anything else I need to think about?

Sorry so long winded on my first post. Jon

Welcome. The boat you are looking is a really good all around boat. I would go with the mod v if it were me, but the flat bottom is just as good. Depending on how tight the budget is a 14 or 15 footer may work as well. All depends on your needs and budget. Keep an eye on craigslist and you can find some really good deals, and if you are in the south GON is also a good source.

Thanks for the replies everyone, do have another question though how tippy is a modified v bottom? I will have my 5 year old daughter and wife with me ounce in a while so I want to make sure and get something stable. Also am going to buy everything new. I bought my first boat several years ago it was a new hull with what was supposed to be a
rebuilt motor on it, I got to use it about 3 times before it burnt up on me was told that boat needed a long shaft motor and it was a short shaft. learned alot and spent alot and had quite a few fights with the wife about it decided this time everything new and under warrenty or not at all. Jon

I have a Mirrocraft 15' Modified V with a pretty high deck. It is extremely stable. I'm a pretty big guy and I had it out the other day with My dad and no issues. I intentionally was rocking it to see the stability. They key is the width. If you get up past a a 1448 you should be fine. Obviously the bigger the better. Unless your set on new, I'd watch Craigslist. You can find some killer deals.

Latest posts