Closed Bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zomes

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to this forum and since i just purchased a "tin boat" i figured i would ask here. Ive got a 14 foot boat that isnt quite a vhull and is a somewhat flat bottomed. First how will that affect me im thinking that would make it tougher to put in a floor and maintain stability. Secondly it happens to be a closed bow boat the cover would screw off but im not sure if its structural or what. The wheel is attached to it but I was planning on just using the tiller for more space. Heres a picture and hopefully someone knows if its a good idea to remove it or not.-matt

Attachments

• downsized%5F1206090954a[1].jpg
    downsized%5F1206090954a[1].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Hard to tell from the pics, but make sure your bunks catch the transom to avoid hooking (bending) the hull. If I'm not mistaken, your boat style is desirable as is and may be worth more (if you ever consider selling it) as is rather than removing the closed bow portion and doing mods to it.

Some more experienced folks than I may be better suited to clarify that tho.

Nice Boat!

That is an vintaged alumacraft, not sure of the model number but I do know in some circles it is a very sought after boat.

You can PM me and I can send you a link to a site that will tell you everything there is to know about vintage Alumacrafts.

I am not sure it would be acceptable to post the link as it is anouther boat forum.

Go ahead and post the link - so long as you can post a link to this site on that forum!

I woudl not change that boat one bit - use it and have fun!

Captain Ahab said:
Go ahead and post the link - so long as you can post a link to this site on that forum!

I woudl not change that boat one bit - use it and have fun!

I'd cut it up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Honestly, I don't much care what value something I have is to someone else. I want it to function how I want it. Perhaps you can find someone to trade you for another rig but if you want to use it and you want to use it by taking the cap off then take the cap off!

Perhaps the cap has value to someone else trying to restore their rig.

danmyersmn said:
Honestly, I don't much care what value something I have is to someone else.
:shock: Lucky You...LOL

It felt like responsible information to give regardless of what he chooses to do with it, and if I ever unknowingly choose to to decrease the value of an asset publicly (not to mention it being prior to investing both time and money in the process), I'd want someone to let me know before I cut it up. :D

Allright ill find out a bit more before i do anything but how do i extend the bunks to cradle the transom. I thought that was a bit wierd when we picked it up.

Brine said:
danmyersmn said:
Honestly, I don't much care what value something I have is to someone else.
:shock: Lucky You...LOL

It felt like responsible information to give regardless of what he chooses to do with it, and if I ever unknowingly choose to to decrease the value of an asset publicly (not to mention it being prior to investing both time and money in the process), I'd want someone to let me know before I cut it up. :D

Right and its good information to have. Thats what's great about this forum. One person told him it has value and to try and keep it, another said "no worries, cut it up". now he has a bunch of posts and still a decision to makes :D

zomes said:
Allright ill find out a bit more before i do anything but how do i extend the bunks to cradle the transom. I thought that was a bit wierd when we picked it up.
Not sure the best way without seeing the trailer without the boat on it. The first thing I noticed was that the bow stop looked like it was positioned too far back on the trailer, which may have been set up that way to make loading/unloading the boat easier (not having to back so far down the ramp). How far would the bunks need to extend? If it's only a foot or so, it may be easier just to move the bow stop a foot closer to the tounge.

I think it would make a nice perchin boat, maybe find a windshield for it. neat lookin classic.

Brine said:
Not sure the best way without seeing the trailer without the boat on it. The first thing I noticed was that the bow stop looked like it was positioned too far back on the trailer, which may have been set up that way to make loading/unloading the boat easier (not having to back so far down the ramp). How far would the bunks need to extend? If it's only a foot or so, it may be easier just to move the bow stop a foot closer to the tounge.

I think you might be right about this. The wheels probably want to be further towards the transom. Look into moving the bow stop forward.

personally what i would do is keep the cover on, cut it to make a path to walk to and in the front, cut off about 3feet from the tip of the bow back so then you would be able to stand in the front and fish and have room on the sides for fishing rod storage, coolers, batteries, life vests, etc. be creative i probally wasnt clear but if you like i could make some plans and send them to you if u like my idea. :p

Looks to me like the trailer is just too small for the boat. Great looking boat, by the way. I vote for not messing with the bow cap. Think of all the out-of-the-way storage you have there, not to mention the spray protection.

I have the same boat and mine hangs off the back just like that.

also, as I posted a while back on the Iboats thread. that bow cover comes off with 8 screws and is NOT structual. I took mine off and stored it in the garage. all the mods I did did not damage the boat. just a few screw holes.