Looking for SteelFlex reviews

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTSam

Reaction score
I have a 15 foot 1986 starcraft john boat that I really enjoy. I use it 99% of the time fishing Tampa Bay. I have had this boat for 4 years and over time I have had a few leaks and repaired these with JB weld. I would like to completely seal the bottom but don't know what to use. I had thought about a bed liner like Line-X or some of the do it yourself products. After searching this site I found that many recommend SteelFlex to fix the problem of leaking boats. My question is how long will Steelflex last? Does it strengthen the boat against say bumping oysterbars and trailer bunks? I read other forums where they love it and others that say it is junk, but I can't find a real testimonial from someone that has used it for an extended amount of time. Any input would be great.

TTSam

I've written quite a bit about it in my 15' Mirro build. See link in my signature. Short version is it will definitely seal leaks. It an epoxy so it puts a rubber like coating on. Seems really strong to me it will definitely seal the leaks and provide and extra barrier of protection. My recommendation is to go with the original(cheaper) version. I used the higher end Teflon version on this buid, but I'm working on another build now and I plan to use the regular SF on the new one.

Thanks for the replys. I have been reading as many posts as I can find about Steelflex on these forums. Why would you use the regular Steelflex instead of the Slick? IS it true that with the Slick Steelflex that your boat will slide off the trailer if you unhook it when unloading? IS the regular Steelflex slippery just not as slippery as the teflon version?

The money difference is in the teflon additive. If the purpose is to seal the boat, the teflon doesn't add value. Either product could contribute to a boat coming off the trailer. If either product is applied on the boat, I wouldn't unhook until the trailer was in the water. Yes, the teflon version is more "slippery". If you have an airboat, commonly run across grass, and can afford the teflon....I'd get the more expensive version. If not, I don't see the value.

TTSam said:
Thanks for the replys. I have been reading as many posts as I can find about Steelflex on these forums. Why would you use the regular Steelflex instead of the Slick? IS it true that with the Slick Steelflex that your boat will slide off the trailer if you unhook it when unloading? IS the regular Steelflex slippery just not as slippery as the teflon version?

I bought the Teflon because I thought it might go on a bit better and self level a little better. It's pretty slick, but I doubt it would slide off the trailer. After applying it I wish I would have saved myself the $60 or so. Like I say, working on a new build and I'll use the regular stuff this time. One other thing to note with the Teflon version you can not apply multiple coats. With the regular stuff it sounds like you can. I also believe you can paint over the regular stuff if you wish. I definitely recommend it for sealing leaks and added protection. It doesn't look as nice as paint however. has more of a pebble like texture.

Thanks again for the replies. I looked at both builds from Nussy and Brine and like what I see. I was going to do it just like you did Nussy but after seeing yours I agree with you that it shouldn't come up so high. I will probably do it so that it is between how you and Brine did it.

Sam,
Just to be clear on my thoughts, if the boat has leaks, fix the leaks first. Then use Steelflex as a preventative measure. Not sure if you have a welded or riveted hull, but I wouldn't use the product as a leak stopper. Rather, I would use it as a leak preventer. If you need advice on fixing the leaks, let us know specifically what's going on. Pics are usually helpful. If you haven't read up on Gluvit, you may want to consider it as well.

Its a rivited boat and at the moment I have zero leaks. What I have that bothers me the most is some pitting has taken place and and it looks like the Steelflex would fill those spots in along with giving some insurance on making the boat water tight. None of my leaks have come from the rivits but small pin holes.

TTSam said:
Its a rivited boat and at the moment I have zero leaks. What I have that bothers me the most is some pitting has taken place and and it looks like the Steelflex would fill those spots in along with giving some insurance on making the boat water tight. None of my leaks have come from the rivits but small pin holes.
I would consider using an aluminum epoxy first then. Apply the epoxy in your low spots (or areas of pitting), sand it flush with the surrounding, then use the Steelflex. That way, the epoxy is handling the pitting, and the Steelflex becomes insurance on the epoxy. When you get a chance, take some pics and post them up for us.

Aluminum epoxy? Are you refering to something like JB Weld or something else?

TTSam said:
Aluminum epoxy? Are you refering to something like JB Weld or something else?
Yes, but instead of JB Weld, there are specific Aluminum Epoxys meant for Marine Applications. All of the Big Box Retailers offer a version of one where I live. It's a putty that is sold in a cigar shape.

Cabella's has one you use a torch with https://www.cabelas.com/p-0001390010655a.shtml

I used something like this https://www.starbrite.com/productde...ies & Adhesives & Caulks&ProductSSCat=Epoxies
which involves cutting off an appropriate size piece, kneading it in your hands (which activates the epoxy), then apply it. Once it cures (which is quick) it can be sanded, drilled, etc....

Ok, I have seen that stuff before. I thought JB Weld was a better product. Thanks for all the help.

TTSam said:
Its a rivited boat and at the moment I have zero leaks. What I have that bothers me the most is some pitting has taken place and and it looks like the Steelflex would fill those spots in along with giving some insurance on making the boat water tight. None of my leaks have come from the rivets but small pin holes.

You may have some electrolysis taking place. Make sure you don't have any wiring grounded to the boat. I put steelflex on my build and haven't had any issues. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1745

Does steelflex make the boat slide across the water better, (faster)? Or does the rough texture and added weight negate any friction loss'?

It's not exactly rough. It's more pebble like....as if that makes any sense. According to the guy at Fasco. Many Airboats prefer that slight texture to break friction. In my opinion it won't affect your speed one way or the other.

Steelflex doesn't have a rough texture. It cures slick like a high gloss oil based paint would. I wouldn't expect to see a difference in speed.

steelflex is a good product and works. only problem ive had is where the transom meets the bottom of the boat. i didnt get it prepped very good and the steelflex has chipped off in a few places. so make sure your prep works is good.

Latest posts