ACM Panels used in Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brine

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these panels? I'm in the process of modding a jon boat and don't want to use any wood. This product is roughly 1/3 the price of sheet aluminum on sale at a local supplier. The only downside I've been informed of is that it can't be welded which doesn't bother me, because I don't weld.

Anyone know why it wouldn't work well as decking in a jon boat?

Did Not Know What It Was, Had To Google. Looks Very Interesting. www.saf.com Has Some Fair Pricing On Their Close-Out Page, But How Is It To Work With In The Home Shop, As Far As Cutting It And The Rosin Core? Would It Need Pre-Drilled For Screwing Down In Place?

countryboy210 said:
Did Not Know What It Was, Had To Google. Looks Very Interesting. https://www.saf.com Has Some Fair Pricing On Their Close-Out Page, But How Is It To Work With In The Home Shop, As Far As Cutting It And The Rosin Core? Would It Need Pre-Drilled For Screwing Down In Place?

Yes, that's exactly where I'm looking, and they are local. I would plan on using rivets wherever possible, and I would predrill regardless.

Well, looks like I will be the guinea pig. Just spoke to a guy there, and it sounds like it should work. It's 4mm thick and $2/sq.ft. No shipping, as I can go pick it up. Sounds like you can use silicone to attach this stuff if you don't want to use a rivet/screw. Never considered it, but that would be kinda cool to not have to deal with the rivets so long as the sheet were to sit good and flat on the ribs/framing.

countryboy210 said:
Great ! Let Us All Know How It Works Out. You May Be Onto Something Several Of Us Could Use This Winter For Mod Projects, Or Even Upgrades . I Should Not Need To Ask For Pics Of Your Progress, But I Guess I Just Did. :roll:

lol...No I assure you there will be pics. My thread was started early in the year. It's Rhyan craft, and I just put a post up on it yesterday.

countryboy210 said:
Did You Ask The Guy What Tools Are Needed To Cut These Panels, And What Kind Of Edge Will It Leave?

Well...I asked "Will a jigsaw and a metal blade do the job?" and he replied "Yes". I also asked if there was any issue with water on any of the exposed edges and he replied "No". He did say that it may scratch over time, and I told him I would be applying either a non-skid paint or marine vinyl on top of it, so scratching wouldn't be a concern for me. He also stated that I was not the first person who had inquired and subsequently purchased a sheet for the same purpose, but was unable to give me that person's contact information.

countryboy210 said:
Hey Brine. . . Any Progress Updates Yet? :?:

Not yet, just got the trailer done. Now I have to get the tag, take the boat to a welder to patch 3 holes and attach a bow eye, then I'll be getting the ACM Panel. Best guess? Beginning of March. :evil:

I'm installing a floor and extending the front deck on my Fisher 1648 MV.

For the floor material I'm using 4 x 8 sheets of polyethylene that are clad on both sides with aluminum. The total thickness of the sheets is 1/8 inch. The stuff is easy to work with and light weight. So far it's going well. I purchased the sheets from a local sign printing supply store. The products I used are called Omega-Bond and Dibond. Got scratch and dent sheets for $20 and $35. Much cheaper than the $225 sheets of aluminum that I priced from other places. The sheets are pre-painted white on both sides and come with a plastic film that you peel off. The sheets are used to print weatherproof outdoor signs.

Latest posts