Best aluminum for deck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsrtinboats

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a G3 1448LW and am working on plans to put a deck on the front that connects the middle bench to the bow. This is also my first post here so if I break any rules or post to the wrong board please let me know.

After spending the last two days looking at pictures posted here of other projects I have a question. For the supports that will run the length of the deck which shape of aluminum is best and does a flat piece of aluminum provide the same support as square hollow tubes and angle pieces. In pictures where the square tubes were used three of the sides were cut away at each end so it could lay flat and be riveted a angle piece. I think this would take away some of the structural integrity but since my construction skills are very limited figured I'd better ask for some advice.

Also any input on the size I should use would help.

Thanks and happy holidays

I am going to use 2"x2"x 1/8 That way I have a enough width in the angle to build hatches for storage. They can simply rest on the aluminum frame. Most guys I've seen take the angle and build trusses. When they cut away the one side of the angle to rivet to the seats the actually weight is held by the truss. There was another build I saw that showed them very will. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it. If I stumble back across it I'll post a link. You could also use square tube if you like, I just think the angle would be easier to work with.

i used aluminum angle for my build. it is 1x1x1/8 and is holding up good. the link to my build is in my signature at the bottom

Latest posts