where to drill holes for live well and bilge pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
I have a basspirator live well kit from bass pro. The instructions are kinda vague on how to install everything, so my question is where are the most efficient (and good looking) spots to drill the holes for the live well and the bilge pump? My livewell sits on the port side about 3 feet in front of the transom. Anyone have pics of their set-up? I have pics of my boat in conversion section under "project overkill" if anyone wants to see what I'm working with. Thanks.

Mike D.

SVOMike86 said:
I have a basspirator live well kit from bass pro. The instructions are kinda vague on how to install everything, so my question is where are the most efficient (and good looking) spots to drill the holes for the live well and the bilge pump? My livewell sits on the port side about 3 feet in front of the transom. Anyone have pics of their set-up? I have pics of my boat in conversion section under "project overkill" if anyone wants to see what I'm working with. Thanks.

Mike D.

The best looking place for the through hull fittings is at the transom I think, but that's usually the hardest place to get to as well. Looks like that kit will do it for ya tho. You will have a water pick up and drain in the transom and an overflow straight out the side of the hull. You could have your overflow out through the transom as well if it is close enough. Your overflow needs to move as much water as your pump; other wise you risk filling the boat up with water due to a clogged drain or malfunctioning pump. Your standpipe is the normal drain and is used to set the water level as well. Your drain could also exit the bottom of the hull, but if you routinely run over stumps ans stuff I would not put it there, or at least get a brass grated drain (seacock) fitting that could take the abuse.

So the intake is under the water line obviously, and the drain is above right? A bilge pump will push water uphill right? I don't have any real experience hooking these up, just trying not to mess anything up.

SVOMike86 said:
So the intake is under the water line obviously, and the drain is above right? A bilge pump will push water uphill right? I don't have any real experience hooking these up, just trying not to mess anything up.

Yes, a bilge pump will push water uphill. The fill needs to be below the water line, the drain can be below the water line or above the water line, depending on whether or not you need to completely drain the live well on the water or not.
1) If the drain is above the water line you will be able to completely drain the live well on the water
2) If the drain is below the water line you will only be able to drain the live well to the level of the water line, but once out of the water you can drain it all out.
The drain termination height is usually dictated by the location of the live well. The drain will not drain properly if it is sloped uphill, over ribs or ran level. So the farther your live well is from the drain termination the higher the live well needs to be to get proper drainage. Generally 1/8" per foot of fall per linear foot is required, more is better, but that's the minimum. Also, with a recirc pump like you have, you could install a Tee and a couple of valves and have a power drain/washer.

The first live well I built/modified left a little water in the well while in the water, about two inches or so, but drained completely when out of the water; the drain was in the bottom of the hull through the bottom of the well. I never had a problem keeping bait alive this way.

Thanks for the info rat... What exactly do you mean by a power washer? I haven't been on the site in a while. How's your PK going?

Just a washer to hose down the decks while on the water, you use a removable hose on the outlet of the pump. Pretty handy for a hunting boat if you track a lot of mud and stuff in. The PK is coming along nicely, just sweatin' the details right now waiting for some good weather so I can paint.

I hear that, I'm waiting on a welder for my bracing to get done, then powdercoating the whole thing. Just saw in the decking post that riveting is the way to go... Any ideas why that would be better than welding- any ideas an why?

Latest posts