Rivet Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nussy

Reaction score
I'm working on my build and had to remove some rivets replace to the transom. I have never installed a solid rivet before, just pop rivets. I'm questioning whether I should try to find some solid rivets(haven't been able to find any locally) and use those or just use some stainless machine screws with nuts. I need to replace about 12 along the transom and 8 at the rear of the floor to hold a transom brace in place.

Is there any structural difference between a rivet and a screw? They will be located in areas below the finished floor and at the very rear of the boat so I'm not concerned with the end of the screw sticking out.

Here's a pic of where they will be located....if you think it migh matter.

Transom brace.JPG

Yes, it will matter. machine screws do not have a solid shank, or a shoulder, and the threads will not fit the hole correctly. You need a solid shoulder to fit in the hole through the Alu. exactly the right size. Threads passing through the hole will act like little saw teeth and eventually will cause wear in the hole (wallow it out, oblong, whatever).

It would be better to use stainless bolts with a shoulder on them than machine screws. I used stainless bolts with a washer on each side and a Nylon lock nut. Rivets would also work (obviously) and sex bolts as well. Sex Bolt link Below the water line I would use Alu. sex bolts as there is no good way to separate the stainless from the Alu. in this application. Dissimilar metals should not touch below the waterline.

So I checked at a few more places this afternoon and no luck on solid rivets or sex bolts that are short enough. All the sex bold I've seen start at 3/8" which is too long.

What do you think about pop rivets with washers on the ends? Or am I better of with bolts.

I would use bolts instead of pop rivets. I remember a thread where someone used pop rivets with 5200 on them and it worked, but I would use bolts especially for the structural members (transom knees). You wil proly need washers even with the bolts.

Rat said:
Yes, it will matter. machine screws do not have a solid shank, or a shoulder, and the threads will not fit the hole correctly. You need a solid shoulder to fit in the hole through the Alu. exactly the right size. Threads passing through the hole will act like little saw teeth and eventually will cause wear in the hole (wallow it out, oblong, whatever).

It would be better to use stainless bolts with a shoulder on them than machine screws. I used stainless bolts with a washer on each side and a Nylon lock nut. Rivets would also work (obviously) and sex bolts as well. Sex Bolt link Below the water line I would use Alu. sex bolts as there is no good way to separate the stainless from the Alu. in this application. Dissimilar metals should not touch below the waterline.

Agree, this works perfectly

I work on semi trailers and use a few different kinds of solid rivits on things like roll up doors. If you have a truck parts place or truck repair shop close by the should be able to tell you where you can locate some. Also if there is a fastener supplier in your area they should be able to get them.

You can get rivets at McMaster Carr.This is a link directly to what your looking for.

https://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSearch2.asp?reqTyp=parametric&act=psearch&FAM=rivets&FT_5722=241002&FT_5725=235264&FT_104=4054&FT_5716=235108&session=rivets,5722=241002,104=4054;5725=235264;5716=235108&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1071

crazymanme2 said:
You can get rivets at McMaster Carr.This is a link directly to what your looking for.

https://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/PSearch2.asp?reqTyp=parametric&act=psearch&FAM=rivets&FT_5722=241002&FT_5725=235264&FT_104=4054&FT_5716=235108&session=rivets,5722=241002,104=4054;5725=235264;5716=235108&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1071

Ok so I'm pretty sure I need the 3/16" diameter. My question is how long would I need. I'm guessing the 5/16"(smallest)??? Essentially its about the same as riveting the boat to a rib, just two alumunum sheets....Does that sound like what I want?

As a general rule the length of your rivet should be 1 1/2 times the dia.So when you stick your rivet through it sticks out 1 1/2 times the dia.If it sticks out a little more that doesn't hurt,but not too much because that isn't good either.The 1 1/2 times is aircraft standard.

Go to your local airport and find someone who works on small aircraft. A great resource for aluminum repair, fabrication, etc.

Latest posts