Flat bottom boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmac

Reaction score
Mornin everybody

I was going thru and reading some old post the other day and read several times where people would say that flat bottom boats were not very good in rougher water and that a semi-v was the way to go, but that a flat bottom boat was a little more stable.

I have never been in a flat bottom before so when people say this are they saying that they bounce alot more in rougher water. I can see where they probably would ride rougher because they would not cut the waves the way a semi-v would. But is there really that much of a difference?

Also I would like to have a livewell in the boat and it seems that all the welded semi-v boats that I have looked at doesn't have one but the flat bottoms do so what's up with that? that is a lot of the reason that I am looking at a flat bottom. The 2 boats that I am looking at are both G3 boats (dealer about 15 miles from my house) one is a 1548 semi-v and the other is a 1648 flat bottom with a livewell.

Sorry so long winded. Jon

many boats of all type. flat bottom, semi-v, v, etc. can be found with or without a livewell.

Flat bottom will excel in smaller lakes, ponds, where you need to get up in the shallow and muddy areas. A semi-v is going to excel out in the waves more. In my area in MN the Semi-v is a better choice because we have many lakes that are deep and the wind is always blowing. Down south and east the flat bottom is preferred because of all the ponds and small lakes that are shallow and sometimes hard to get too. That's how I understand it from those that are fishing the south. Most of them prefer the flat bottom.

I have taken my semi-v out in winds and waves I wouldn't think of in a jon, but I have also buried it deep in the mud in areas where jon's would of floated right by.

Trust me I know from experience a flat bottom will beat the crap outta you in rough water. But its what I've got, you can't beat 'em for shallow water and stability.

A semi-v or v hull seems to bob up and down without tilting from side to side as bad as a flat bottom will in rougher water with wave coming from the side. If you are heading into the wave, a v or semi-v seems to cut into the wave better and does not porpoise as bad as a flat bottom.

In calm water a flat bottom boat does not have as much draft as a v or semi-v hull allowing it to traverse shallower water.

Is the G3 a Mod V or a Semi V? A semi V will have a vee about 1/2-2/3 of the hull length and then be flat on the planing surface; a mod v will have a vee in the front only.

In my experience the mod vee is a gimmick. The vee doesn't have enough deadrise to cut waves very well and will still pound your teeth out in heavy water. Lots of deadrise (or at least variable) makes for smooth running.

A semi v is much better in heavy water, but has the downsides as listed above.

If I had to choose between a Mod V and a flat bottom it would be a flat bottom all the way. The little bit of extra length with a mod v can be nice, but the vee itself is pretty useless at making the ride smoother.

Rat said:
Is the G3 a Mod V or a Semi V? A semi V will have a vee about 1/2-2/3 of the hull length and then be flat on the planing surface; a mod v will have a vee in the front only.

In my experience the mod vee is a gimmick. The vee doesn't have enough deadrise to cut waves very well and will still pound your teeth out in heavy water. Lots of deadrise (or at least variable) makes for smooth running.

A semi v is much better in heavy water, but has the downsides as listed above.

If I had to choose between a Mod V and a flat bottom it would be a flat bottom all the way. The little bit of extra length with a mod v can be nice, but the vee itself is pretty useless at making the ride smoother.

I have a 16' mod vee and I agree it is no better than a flat bottom in big water. The vee is just for show I think, but it doesn't hurt anything either. It doesn't draw any more water than a flat bottom and it's perfect for the rivers and inland lakes that I typically fish. I've run 30mph in 8" of water in stretches of the river that I know well enough :D

I think the G3 boat is a modified -V. I know I am over thinking this but I will have my 5yr. old daughter and my wife with me ounce in a while so I need a stable boat.

A 48" wide jon in either flat bottom or mod-vee should be pretty stable. Wider is better though. Mine is a 1652 mod-vee and it's as stable as you could want - no concerns with 3 big guys walking around in it.

Latest posts