Watersealer or epoxy??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm starting to buy the components for my 1648 mod. I got the livewell, lw pump, bilge, bow lights, seat pedestals, and TM plug. Still need to pick up some tubing, wood, hinges, carpet, and some hardware.

I'm planning to use 3/4inch ply for the decking, and 1/2inch for the bottom of the dry storage compartments, walls, and whatever else won't be supporting much weight. I'm obviously looking to keep the weight down, as this stuff it adding up quick with 3 batteries and a 40 horse hanging on the back.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should use an epoxy resin, like this https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html or if I should just use water sealer. To be honest, I plan to keep this boat for another 5ish years, so as long as its lasts that long, I'm happy.

Anyways, I can't decide if the epoxy resin is worth the money and hassle. I don't see my 3/4 inch decking rotting out fast enough to worry about it, so I'm leaning back towards plain water sealer.

Input?

Outdoors unfortunately..

I have two covers for it thought, and itll be shrink wrapped in the winter (that is, if someone can teach me how) :lol:

Well i cant answer then, I keep mine in the garage, so i went with water sealer.. If i was gonna keep it outside, i may look at something better...

I'm leaning towards watersealer just because I can get it for about 40 bucks cheaper and its easy to work with. I figure I'll be okay with 3/4 inch wood. Getting that to warp and rot seems like it would take some work.. :lol:

I'm sure I'll be pretty diligent with the cover this time around, considering its more of an investment with a bigger and better boat..