carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil-Buddy23

Reaction score
when you put carpet on a jon boat whats the best for securing it to the metal glue, Velcro any ideas would be nice thanks

I used the Henry 663 indoor/outdoor carpet glue available at Lowe's. All of my carpet was applied to the factory painted metal (decks/inside hull) on my rig, which was a flat-type finish, not glossy. No problems yet and it's been in there since around July '07.

I've tried both spray adhesive and DAP contact cement. I definitely did not like the spray adhesive. Didn't seam to be very tacky, and the fumes are horrible. The contact cement worked OK but I wasn't crazy about that either. Looking for another solution for my current built. Let us know what you use.

I bought the outdoor carpet glue from lowes. I have only used it to carpet my bunks so far and I put it on real thick thinking that it would be better, but it came through the carpet a little bit. For the poster that uses this stuff, I was wondering how thick is appropriate? I figured that the bunks would be a good test run because they will have the boat covering them most of the time, I'm glad I did.

Both have certain procedures for application. The outdoor glue has to be put on with a notched trowel. It tells you on the bucket what sizes notches. Cover the entire area. Using this glue gives you a bit of time to "move" the carpet a little.
You can also use Weldwood contact cement. The solvent based version works better. You apply it to the deck, and the carpet, let both sit up until tacky and then lay it down. This method gives no room for error. Once it touches itself, it is stuck. You must make sure the glue is tacky before joining with contact cement. Good Luck.
Jr. B

I used polyurethane construction adhesive from lowes for most of mine, It is waterproof and strong as steel.. It works excelent on folds and verticals, it sets up to hold in about 15 minutes or so... I did spread it with a notched trowel after i applied it via the caulk gun...

Latest posts