Livewell set up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Heres a paint pic of how I'm setting up my livewell. Just wanted to trouble shoot before I start drilling holes.

The text on my paint program doesnt work, so bear with me. I'm basically pumping water in, and its dumping through the aerator head to fill and freshen the water. I'll leave it on for a while to aerate the fish, meanwhile the overflow will keep it from over flowing (hopefully). I'm using 3/4" hose and thru-hulls for the entire project to keep it simple, and while I'm sure I should have the over flow bigger than the fill-up, I'm banking on it getting the job done. In the bottom of the tank I will have a 3/4"thru hull with a plug in it, which should get the job done as well. The boat leans to the right when I'm in it, so I'm using this to my advantage and putting the overflow and drain to the right. I do realize it will only drain when out of the water, but thats fine by me. Its just something to keep my fish alive till I get them home, and to keep them kickin when I start fishing tournaments.

Oh, and for style points, I just got some bluewater LEDs on sale for it. 8)

Any input?

Attachments

• livewell.JPG
    livewell.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,797
Put a standpipe on that bottom drain line and you can do away with the overflow out the side. :wink:

Quackrstackr said:
Put a standpipe on that bottom drain line and you can do away with the overflow out the side. :wink:

X2
i would also go out the back of the boat, the side may come above the water line at times

Quackrstackr said:

Okay I'm stupid, what is standpipe, what does it do, and how does it work. I too am doing a livewell and am currently looking a my options.

gunny146 said:
Quackrstackr said:

Okay I'm stupid, what is standpipe, what does it do, and how does it work. I too am doing a livewell and am currently looking a my options.

A standpipe would screw into the bottom of the livewell where he has his drain located and has an open top. Once the livewell fills with water to that level (in this case it would be as tall as the level where he has his overflow out the side drawn), it drains through the pipe. You can also pull the standpipe and the livewell will drain down to the waterline while the boat is in the water. My drain is right at the waterline so I can completely drain my livewell while the boat sits in the water if I want.

Pull the lid off of the tank of your toilet. It has a standpipe that operates in the exact same way to prevent your tank from overflowing.

redbug said:
X2
i would also go out the back of the boat, the side may come above the water line at times

The pump needs to go as low as you can get it and I would agree to run it out the back. Having your drain line (and consequently the bottom of your livewell) right at the waterline is not necessarily a bad thing as explained in my above post.

Cant run it to the back... there are two benches in the way. I'm really not concerned with running it from the side. The only way itll be above the waterline is if I'm going 30 miles an hour...

Thought about doing a stand pipe but decided against it for a couple of reasons. The most convincing of which is my dad had a pike break his off :eek:

I would prefer the overflow tube like you are planning on myself. Had good size fish knock the drain pipe loose on us before in my buddies boat. Now if this was a smaller livewell or bait well with rounded sides, then I'd definitely go for the drain tube in the middle of the livewell. This is just my personal opinion though.

Latest posts