first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-o

Reaction score
first of all let me say hi yall!!!!! I love this site full of good info.I've seen the thread on (forgot name) boat pods and am curious. My brother is gonna give me my dads(R.I.P) old 27 year old 12ft sears jon but i was wondering the wieght bearing load of one with pods on the back seeing im lets say 300lbs and also with the pods could i step up to the 15hp outboard ive been givin by my father in law. the boat has in the past carried me and my brother both of us >200lbs plus gear with a 9.9hp. its going to be 99% of the time just me. by the way scored almost free trailer to(father in law) :LOL22:

welcome i am new to this site as well i am starting on a 12ft v boat as well mine is a 1955 starcraft i havent worried much about weight on mine but i would also like to know how the pods would turn out i am going to rebuild this boat and put it up for a couple of years and give it to my son for his 16th birthday but i am also building a 1436for us to go catch us some of those big oll wvcatfish in but anyway i will keep a eye out for the replys on this post

:WELCOME: Aboard..

Rob-o I live just up the road from you in Sumter. I bought my last truck in Summerville.

rob-o said:
first of all let me say hi yall!!!!! I love this site full of good info.I've seen the thread on (forgot name) boat pods and am curious. My brother is gonna give me my dads(R.I.P) old 27 year old 12ft sears jon but i was wondering the wieght bearing load of one with pods on the back seeing im lets say 300lbs and also with the pods could i step up to the 15hp outboard ive been givin by my father in law. the boat has in the past carried me and my brother both of us >200lbs plus gear with a 9.9hp. its going to be 99% of the time just me. by the way scored almost free trailer to(father in law) :LOL22:

Welcome to Tinboats!!

First of all, I'm not sure how a true vee hull would act with pods. Mine is a Modified Vee and carries about 2 1/2" of vee to the back of the boat. This has caused some planning and handling issues. I have over come these issues, but they are more than worth it to me.

You can figure that every cubic ft. of air in the pod provides about ~62 lbs of bouyancy. Subtract the weight of materials. I figure I'm getting about 190lbs of extra bouyancy.

As far as adding a 15hp, you are basically on your on your own. You will need to determine if the transom can support the amount of force a 15 is going to exert on it. The pods might stiffen the transom a little, but you will probably need to reinforce the transom. You are probably going to experience the same problems I have. My boat is tring to plane off of the pods instead of the bottom of the boat due to the speeds I'm hitting.

Latest posts