re-fitting a windshield

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my fellow members at the Antique Outboard Motor Club suggested this site. I'm restoring a Duracraft runabout that came without the windshield. I found another one that will work, but I'll have to trim the bottom of the windshield to get it to conform to the contours of the deck. Any ideas as to how I can lay that out on the windshield? Also, will I be able to cut the plexiglas with a saber saw without cracking it?

just an opinion here, i have done some work with some lexan and plexiglass and I would be careful what type of cutting method you use. there is a special blade for a jigsaw (it has no teeth just a texture) but this is a difficult way to cut as it will melt the material as it cuts and a variable speed jigsaw is really needed. I would try a dremel tool, with a small saw ?attachment so you could set a low speed to keep the temp down? If you get to "rough" the material will crack... #-o :idea:

I've cut quite a bit of plexi with jigsaws and tablesaws; however, I think the thickness of the material will dictate the best way to cut it. Variable speeds will help. Too slow cracks the material and too fast melts it ( which is better than cracking it) Ideally you will have a piece of scrap to practice with, and if not, I would lean towards too fast inititally. You can buy a reverse tooth cutting blade for the jigsaw, or simply the highest tooth count blade you can find. I had similar results with both. FYI, my cut edge was always face down so cosmetics were not important. All of my cuts were straight, and made on 3/16" material. I would lay blue painters tape across the cut line, then mark out the cut on the tape. Our vendor said that a router was the best tool for the product, but the jigsaw/tablesaw worked just fine for our applications. Should also be noted that our table saw has a dedicated scoring blade. Otherwise, reversing the teeth on the main blade may have been required.

Depending on the cost of the replacement windshield and any new tooling you may have to purchase, you may consider having a plexi shop make your cuts. Most frame shops are also accustomed with cutting plexi.

Post some pics when you get a chance, and that may help with suggestions.

Latest posts