Which jonboat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumblebee

Reaction score
I recently acquired an Evinrude 15HP 4-Stroke (short shaft)(tiller) and I am looking for suggestions on which jonboat to search for to maximize this motors potential. Probably will not buy new at this time. Hopefully I can find a used boat and trailer at a good buy.

This will be a project boat that I will spend some time rigging out mainly for crappie and bluegill fishing on some of the freshwater lakes here in TX.

Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks....

14' - 16' modified V, 48" or wider.

Post where you're from in your profile, and another member may be able to help you find one.

Good idea. Thanks....

Tried 33 or 4 times to change the profile. Will try again later. Meanwhile I'm in the DFW area.

Try clicking the User Control Panel in the top left corner and then click profile and it should let you change/add what you need. I just checked to see if mine was working and it seems ok.

Doug

I did all that each time.
I get a message: "The number you entered is not a valid ICQ number." which happens to be my username. Funny it will let me log on but not edit my profile. I give up.

What do you mean by "maximizing this motor's potential"?

Are you racing? :lol:

If you want to get from point A to B as fast as possible with a 15 horse, you need to stay with a 1442 or narrower.

I suspect that I would opt fot the optimal fishing platform that a 15 horse would get on plane rather than what it would take for "maximum potential". A 15 hp motor isn't going to be a speed demon regardless of what boat you hang it on.

O.K. then....I'll try and clear this up for you.

I am looking for "not too much boat" and/or "not too little boat" for the 15 HP 4-Stroke to move along at a nice pace w/o causing structural damage to the transom, yet be able to get up on plane with 2 people and fishing gear.

I do not want a narrow boat (32-36 inch bottom) nor do I want a boat with low gunnels. I will probably be looking for a used boat with trailer (money is tight these days).

What I am looking for are manufacturers names to avoid and/or search out along with recommendations as to length-width-depth (keeping in mind that I am going to be making some modifications to the interior (adding some weight).

I appreciate all the help so far and want to thank everyone........I have found, over the years, that asking a few questions can sometimes save a lot of grief.......

Latest posts