Mud boat modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thudpucker

Reaction score
For you Yankees who dont have any kind of exciting water to fish in, look at this Mud Boat Mod.
I think it has a good future in some areas.
https://www.blizzarddesigns.com/mudboat/mudboat.html

Especially for older boats with Rotted Mercruiser/OMC/Volvo out drives, but the motors are still good.
It looks like something like this would be an economical replacement, and might even be 'hand' made by some of you guys.
I didnt see anything in there about Reverse gear though. (that guy just ran up into the mud when he needed to stop)

You Yankees just aint lived till you've looked back and seen a shower of Mud thirty feet hi in the air behind you! Whoo haawwww!

https://www.blizzarddesigns.com/mudboat/mudboat.html

If that link dont work, go to his blizzarddesigns.com and click on boat.

I just went there from my PC. Strange that I can get it but you guys cant.
I'll go back and see if I can get a clue to the site.
I got this:

FOWL HABIT
Built by:
Ronnies Mud Boat
born 8-2004

One of my first Mud boat rides, we were near Cameron LA. Out in the swamp, we slowed down to look at a little Gator off on our right near the bank.
As we slowed down, keeping our distance off to the left side of the Swamp, an horrendous splash scared the skid marks right outta me. We were looking at a 8 or 10 footer off to the right, when a 15 footer splashed away from the boat as we moved off to the left. We nearly slid right up his side before he took off.

"Lordy" I thought. Dont let this motor quit. I don't want to spend the night out here hoping a Gator dont want in this boat! :|

His outdrive started leaking and sank the boat as it sat docked two or three years back. I forget now how much money he has invested in that thing but it is a fortune.

He is a member of a duck hunting forum that I moderate and has posted videos of that boat ever since it was in the initial build process. Those particular vids are a few years old now.

Mud? Brother, you haven't lived until you are running in a real river at 45-50 mph dodging boulders in water shallow enough to feel the water compression off the bottom lifting the boat, for me about 6-8" of water with a rocky bottom. :)

Jamie

To the best of my memory, it was purchased somewhere.

IMG_4812.jpeg

I actually think that the boat was built by this guy: https://ronniesairboats.com/mudboats.htm

The owner of the boat also owns this business, you might contact him here if you have any questions: https://www.waterfowldecals.com/

He also goes by redheadcali over on refugeforums.com and is fairly active. I think registration is currently closed for the forums, though.

The links worked this time, thanks :) that is a really nice build, that looks like a chevy motor 6 or 8? any of those would have to be water cooled...and hey i dont know about that excitement on mud but here at lay lake where there stumps may or may not be seen or those pesky half submerged floating logs......thats a lot of excitement to me lol

He "Water cools" the engines with a "Keel Cooler" and uses a ZF transmission.

It just inspired me to start doodling. somehow that has to be cheaper than replacing an old Mercruiser outdrive!

Loggerhead Mike said:
slick rig sucks it sank

Oh, it has been salvaged and rebuilt. It's still out in Cali running 70+ mph as we speak. :lol:

I don't remember offhand what motor he dropped in it but I will do some digging around whenever I get a chance.

It looks like it has an electric water pump mounted on the front of the motor and an electric water pump mounted on the floor of the boat. I would guess he is circulating Coolant through the motor in a closed loop and that loop has a heat disipation coil (radiator) that is being bathed in river water from the pump on the floor. I.E. the closed loop is cooled by an open loop.

A guy told me its a Chebby. The Dist is in the Back not the front like a Ford.

Keel Coolers are a very old adaption to keep the engine from rotting out from salt water.
I started on boats with Keel coolers in 46. They work fine for small energy motors and in cooler waters. Might not work at all in the Gulf coast.