Seat mounting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

240sx

Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking here a while and finally joined. I have a 1436 that I'm going to be working on sometime soon so I've been cruising around picking up ideas to use. I had an idea that a search didn't turn anything up on, so either it's a VERY bad idea or I just didn't look in the right places. I plan on decking the front and was looking into different seats and mounts. Every build that I've looked at has had the mounts on top of the deck. Is there a reason that I couldn't built a support under the deck, say just an inch or two above the floor of the boat, and then just have the pedestal run up through the deck? It seems like this would give you a lower center of gravity and make things a bit more stable, which on a 1436 is very needed!

If I'm way off or just making a stupid suggestion, feel free to let me know, I can take it!!! Thanks guys...

-Marc

danmyersmn said:
you can buy pedestals at different heights, including adjustable.

Right, that's why I was thinking lower mount and longer pedestal. I just wanted to see if anybody has tried it or has any input on the subject.

Well, I'm no physics major but as I understand it the center of gravity would be calculated where the center of the mass is compared to the object. Therefore, it won't make a difference where the mount to the seat/pedestal is but rather how high the *** is compared to the bottom of the boat ;)

I could be wrong though.

Lower mount, longer pedestal... higher mount, shorter pedestal... it won't matter.

Dan's description is correct. It's the overall height of the *** in relation to contact surface of the boat that determines how tippy your boat is going to be.

Yeah I can see where my thinking went awry now. It made sense until I drew it out, then I felt a little dumb. Oh well, certainly isn't the first time, definitely won't be the last!!!

Latest posts