Ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG

Reaction score
Hey there. What a great board with some awesome work.
I have a 97 15 foot xpress I am looking to customize. I would like to add storage and livewell.
I am not oppossed to ice chest livewell, but am thinking I would like to go ahead and incorporate something built in.

Looking forward to it.

Phil

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

dyeguy1212 said:
Cool looking boat.. and perfect for modding. Those ribs across the bottom are perfect flat surfaces to mount 2x2's to :wink:

well I have easier access to 2x2s than aluminum. Will treated 2x2 react with aluminum?

I have been thinking of cutting out the front bench and modeling around a walk-through design or go with traditional deck/hatches. Not sure. I also considered using the front bench to house a livewell from customlivewells.com and deck the gap with storage Underneath. I know it all depends on the fisherman, but I would really welcome your thoughts and ideas. The 25 Merc pushes the boat well and I think I can keep aware of the weight added for the mods. Boat is very stable and I think a good candidate to make how I want. All ideas welcome.

...I have easier access to 2x2s than aluminum. Will treated 2x2 react with aluminum?

Yes, pressure treated wood will react with aluminum. It is highly recommended to not use pt wood. Use regular lumber and treat it with a couple good coats of polyurethane, Thompson's, etc. Be sure and give the end grain of the lumber some extra coats.

Waterwings said:
...I have easier access to 2x2s than aluminum. Will treated 2x2 react with aluminum?

Yes, pressure treated wood will react with aluminum. It is highly recommended to not use pt wood. Use regular lumber and treat it with a couple good coats of polyurethane, Thompson's, etc. Be sure and give the end grain of the lumber some extra coats.

Figured as such. Thanks for the help!!

I've almost got the same boat... only mine has the extended front deck. I would leave in that middle seat, but cut out the top and take out the foam and incorporate a livewell into that (even though I would rather have the weight of that at the back near the rear bench). I'm supposed to be getting my livewell within the next 3 weeks, and I'll start modding then.

I would put a battery up front in the area between the front deck and middle bench OR... what I plan to do is put my 2 batteries for my 24v in the cubby hole, and extend that portion for more storage.

I'd definitely put a board in whatever space you leave open, but you really need to make a back deck if anybody fishes with you. That bench is pretty wide, but guys complain when they fish with me because it's really not enough room to set a hard hook and move around to work the fish when he gets close to the boat.

Nice boat man... you can check out mine in my signature

russ010 said:
I've almost got the same boat... only mine has the extended front deck. I would leave in that middle seat, but cut out the top and take out the foam and incorporate a livewell into that (even though I would rather have the weight of that at the back near the rear bench). I'm supposed to be getting my livewell within the next 3 weeks, and I'll start modding then.

I would put a battery up front in the area between the front deck and middle bench OR... what I plan to do is put my 2 batteries for my 24v in the cubby hole, and extend that portion for more storage.

I'd definitely put a board in whatever space you leave open, but you really need to make a back deck if anybody fishes with you. That bench is pretty wide, but guys complain when they fish with me because it's really not enough room to set a hard hook and move around to work the fish when he gets close to the boat.

Thanks for the advice . .fixing to check out yours after this reply.
In the rear bear, the previous owner cut out a small portion and it houses the starting battery.

I am still seeing so many good ideas, I dont have a solid plan yet. I have also looked at the toho-rig at BassPro, doing a custom box from customlivewells.com, rigging an ice chest yet I still don't have a final plan for my livewell. How would you incorporate a livewell in the bench?

Thanks for the advice!

phil

russ010 said:

awesome . .the FishMate stuff . . thanks so much! killer boat too!

Latest posts