FLOORING

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil-Buddy23

Reaction score
i am trying to put a floor in my jon boat what is the best way to do that without tapeing 3 or 4 poster boards together to make a template lol i am far from a carpenter

you can take measurements and lay them out on the plywood you are going to use for the floor.
taping a few sheets of poster board together is much easier
IMO

I just did mine and here's what I did. I measured the width at each brace wall to wall and the width between braces then I drew a center line on the wood and basically plotted the points where I took the measurements. then I simply connected the dots and purposely cut the wood a little big(easy to cut more off. hard to put it back on). Then when I put it in the boat I simply marked the areas where it hit the sides and shaved those areas off, continuing to refit between cuts. After 3-4 "shavings" it fit perfectly. One thing to watch out for. is make sure to take into account that the top of the wood will be 3/4"(or whatever size plywood you are using) higher then where you are measuring the supports, and thus will probably be wider then where the braces meet the walls of the boat. For mine I needed to cut the wood on 45 degree angle as well because of the slope of the walls. Seamed to work pretty well for me.

You can measure the width of the seat and find your center and drill a wood screw in. Then go to your next seat and do the same. Tie a string from screw to screw so you have a straight line and measure from the string over to the edge of your boat every 6" or foot and mark that down on your plywood. After you have your measurements on your plywood take a flexible ruler and connect the dots to get your curve then cut it out.