New here! 1968 Starcraft Mariner 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LITinFlats

Reaction score
Hey guys!!

New to the site but not new to boating. This will be the second aluminum I've owned. First was a 1994 Grumman 14' now I have this classic 1968 Starcraft Mariner 16. I bought the boat from a friend for 2k and I am completely re-doing the boat. The main goal is to make it the ultimate Flats/Fishing machine for the North Shore of Long Island.
I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and I hope that you will all be able to help me with my project.
I have already drawn up some rough plans/ideas that I have thought of for the boat and will be starting work as the weather permits.
Thanks for having me here!
-Dave

I'll get some pics up tomorrow!
I really plan on doing quite the project to this little boat but will definitely need the help of you guys.
First of all I'd like to see how many other 16' Starcrafts there are around here. I'm no stranger to the search function so if anyone has anything they could post up in this thread that would be great!

My main issues are going to be what type of deck covering I will use and how to frame out the deck supports. The boat currently has a 15hp Mercury on it but I am looking into upgrading to a 40hp electric start. The boat will have a rear and front deck with 2 removable pedestal seats and a small 24" x 12" x 24" or so center console. The chairs will be movable with a front seat plate so I can have one seat up front and one in the back.
I also plan on putting the 12g tank that I have under the front deck and hatches to access the tank and the 2 batteries I will be putting under the rear deck.

I will be doing alot of Fly Fishing/Poling and shallow water fishing with this boat so an uncluttered deck space is necessary.

What tips could you guys give me for the teardown/paint stripping and prepping before I start the building/customization?

Well like you said, the search function will go a long way.

If you're taking the paint off, try some paint stripper, then cover with saran wrap.

Otherwise, you can do it like I did with my old boat, and spend 3 days hitting it with a wire wheel :roll:

Welcome aboard.

Removing paint is often done with either a cup brush attached to a drill/grinder and or aircraft paint stripper. Make sure to check out the mods pages (can be difficult to find) to see the process/results and decide which method is best for you.

If you haven't found them, here ya go https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Awesome! Already loving the site and the quick help!
Hopefully the weather will be decent the next few days. I'll get some before pics up and start the process and you guys can follow along with me. Hopefully with the help of all of you this will be a great project that we can all enjoy!

Does anyone here live on Long Island?

You should check out https://www.iboats.com
Look in the boat restoration and starcraft owners sections.

Well the weather has not been cooperating over here and I haven't had time to do anything yet today. We are supposed to have a couple good days this week so I will be able to at least get some before shots up!
Looking forward to sharing this with all of you!

Latest posts