Need some cumulative brainstorming from you guys

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
As I prepare to start my mods, I'm really considering painting my 1648 when it gets warm enough. From what I can tell, one of the previous owners hit the boat with a tan spray bomb, which is holding up decently, but some spots need some work. If I'm going to paint it, I want to do it right the first time, and use something that lasts.

This is where the brain storming comes in. I was planning to use steel flex on the bottom, and up about 5 inches on the sides and transom. Then a topside paint would go on above the steelflex line, to the bottom of the gunwales. Then I was going to do the gunwales in steelflex as well.

I'm not looking for something to seal the boat, I'm just looking for something tough. My gunwales take a beating when tied to docks, and the bottom of the boat sees a lot of wear from beaching it, and trailering it during every outing. As I do more research, I hear steelflex isnt as tough as I had assumed. I have experience with topside paint, and its nothing to write home about in that department either. So what do I use?

Bedliner and stuff like that is out of the question. Previous owner put some nonskid paint on the gunwales, and while it does hold up decently, it tends to bubble out if you get a chip. So break the seal (of paint), and its game over. Plus I don't like the looks of it.

So can anyone recommend something? Ugly boats aren't my thing, and doing work only to have it chip away isn't my cup of tea either.

Let the brainstorming begin!

https://www.durabakcompany.com/smooth-durabak.htm

I'm thinking that stuff might be okay for the gunwales, but I don't know about painting the hull with it...

I've read some stuff on here about steel flex not being very durable. I'm not looking for anti-slip for any reason what so ever. I just want something tough as nails.

I decided not to paint mine because I didn't think anything would be durable enough to hold up on the gunwales. Take sandpaper to them and polish them up nice then let them oxidize? That's what I am doing.

dyeguy1212 said:
Isn't that the advice you give on every painting thread ahab? Some people just like to ride in style 8)

It is! Good eye.

I like to ride in style as well but do not see the point in slapping paint on a tin boat. My glass boat is always polished and pretty - but that is necessary to protect the gel coat.

On a tin, well the best part about a tin boat is you do not need to do all that much maintenance.

Anyway, i do understand that it is your boat and I was by no means implying that my way is better, hope you are not offended.

How about adding some thin rubber "rub rails" that is what is used on a glass boat to protect teh finish. They make a few different types, some are glue on and some actually are fitted in a channel.

dyeguy1212 said:
I've read some stuff on here about steel flex not being very durable. I'm not looking for anti-slip for any reason what so ever. I just want something tough as nails.

I think the rubber in bedliner is what gives it a lot of durability. I may be wrong, yes it gives it anti skid, but it also wrinkles the finish, providing more surface area. a smooth surface always chips easier than a rough surface for some reason..

I'm not offended, I just had to call you out :wink:

I like the rubber rub rails idea, but have no idea how to get some that would look somewhat stock. Its actually really funny you mention that, because my girlfriend gives me a hard time every time we go to basspro and I obsess over the rubber trim on tracker's higher-end aluminum boats.

This brainstorming is actually paying off :lol:

Bugpac said:
dyeguy1212 said:

I think the rubber in bedliner is what gives it a lot of durability. I may be wrong, yes it gives it anti skid, but it also wrinkles the finish, providing more surface area. a smooth surface always chips easier than a rough surface for some reason..

What you're saying makes sense, but for now I'm looking for something with a smooth finish (more of a stock look). I've heard so many mixed reviews on bedliner, nonskid paint, steelflex and whatnot that its hard to justify dropping the cash on it (and spending the time to do it) unless I'm sure it'll hold up.

I got an email back from the durabak people, and they're saying it'll work good for my boat, but something tells me their opinion is a tad biased. They advertise how chip resistant their product is, but who knows... I did order a chip sample, so maybe I'll be able to tell something from that.

The steel flex on my boat had been plenty durable, Now if were talking operator error, I do have chips in it, but when you hit painted alum with steel it generally will chip... :)

I've now Steelflexed two boat......Although I haven't spend any water time in either of them, I can tell you that I think the Steelflex would be a much tougher solution than paint. With my first build I left the Gunwales silver aluminum. With the build I'm currently working on I took a wire wheel to the whole boat and I'm actually thinking of leaving the small lip that will be there unfinished or even polishing it for that reason for the exact reason that you mention.

If you really want a finished edge, I'd go with the Steelflex. You should have more than enough left over and it would give it a nice contrasting look.

P.S. I'm actually thinking about Steelflexing my anchors. It would give it that rubberized effect and reduce the rust issue on them currently.

I haven't used anything but paint, and on the last boat I painted, it held up rather well considering the type of terrain I fish (rocks and trees), it held up rather well. The only scraping I had was on the bottom side, but I put on enough layers that it never made it all the way down to the aluminum, or the yellow zinc chromate primer I put on. That stuff was tougher than I thought it ever could be.

I didn't have any scratches on the sides, and even while fishing in timber, it never scratched. The underside is where all of the scrapes came in, and a lot of that was caused while trailering the boat because I had Ultimate Bunk Boards installed which aren't carpeted.

Stay away from the bedliner, I know it will chip and crack according to Low Budget Hookerz who posted his rebuild on bassresource.com... he said it slowed him down and chipped.

What kind of paint did you use again russ?

I thought about using the durabak for the gunwales only, after getting an email saying not to use below the water line, but its well over 100 bucks for a gallon, and a gallon is the only size available.

So now I'm leaning back toward steelflex on the bottom, and a regular topside above the water line. Luckily I have some time to decide..

Latest posts