Help? I can get the steering wheel off.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nussy

Reaction score
OK So I messed with this for over an hour today and I'm stuck. I wanted to pull out the rotten wood from the console and simply mount the steering column to the aluminum of the console. I was able to get the wood out, but it had rusted the bolts and I cant get the bolts back on. the simply spin because I can get at the other end of the bolt. I tried using a ViseGrip to hold the threaded end end while putting the nuts on but that doesn't work. So now I'm trying to remove the steering wheel assembly and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it off. Have a look.

To make matters worse I can pull the steering assemly from the console because it's connected to the steering cable and there are warnings all over it not to disassemble it.Not to mention I believe it's hydraulic and I don't want to mess with it.

So what I'm trying to now is remore the silver piece so that I can get at the bots.

Any ideas
This is what I started with
Steering Wheel.JPG
Now
Steering 2.JPG
It looks like ther my be small tab by the bolt but I stuck a small screwdriver in there and I can seem to dislodge it. Anybody have any experience with this?

Steering 1.JPG

The "tab" by the steering shaft is a keyway. My best guess would be to take a three way puller and remove the steering wheel mounting bracket from the shaft itself. It is most likely a tapered shaft(taper lock) that is holding the bracket on. If it is a taper lock just use the puller to release the lock. Use the three bolt holes to attach the puller. After that is off, you may be able to remove the outer cover of the steering gearbox. It may be screwed onto the gearbox under the steering wheel mounting bracket in which you can't see until you get the bracket off. After the outer cover of the gearbox is off, you may be able to get to the mounting bolts. Usually you mount the gearbox first then install cover for the gearbox. Then install the bracket and the steering wheel. As you tighten the steering wheel nut, it will lock the bracket to the shaft.

KMixson said:
The "tab" by the steering shaft is a keyway. My best guess would be to take a three way puller and remove the steering wheel mounting bracket from the shaft itself. It is most likely a tapered shaft(taper lock) that is holding the bracket on. If it is a taper lock just use the puller to release the lock. Use the three bolt holes to attach the puller. After that is off, you may be able to remove the outer cover of the steering gearbox. It may be screwed onto the gearbox under the steering wheel mounting bracket in which you can't see until you get the bracket off. After the outer cover of the gearbox is off, you may be able to get to the mounting bolts. Usually you mount the gearbox first then install cover for the gearbox. Then install the bracket and the steering wheel. As you tighten the steering wheel nut, it will lock the bracket to the shaft.

Is this what you mean by a 3 way puller? Never heard of that tool before. So are you saying that the silver cover just pushes on and that keyway hold it in place? If I understand correctly does the puller just apply pressure equally? or does it do more?

Use a steering wheel puller. Here is a picture of one. It allows you to pull the bracket straight off the shaft by turning the center bolt. If you try to pry the bracket off from the side it will cause a lot of frustration.

Attachments

• Steering Wheel Puller.jpg
    Steering Wheel Puller.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 439
Thanks guys. I was able to get it off and fixed up with my home made puller....2x2 angle iron and some WD40!!!!

Latest posts