question about painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusmir

Reaction score
do i have to sand my aluminum boat all the way or can i just do it till the last layer of paint or primer whick ever is there .. sugestions
and what could happen

yeah i was planing that .. but if the boat dosent leak . maybe its alredy sealed . so i dont want to mess it up maybe just top layer of the paint u know. but im sure its leaking a bit cause i can tell from looking at it.

The paint shouldn't be your main defense from leaks... Thats the problem with the "steelflex way of thinking" 'round these parts..

If anything, it'd be better to strip it down, diagnose all the problem areas, and fix them properly, before spending time and money and a heck of a lot of effort on your project.

Its a type of paint a lot of people on this board use. Run a search, and you'll get a ton of information on it.

Steelflex is know to be a good boat sealer for minor leaks, and it essentially a cure-all for a lot of boat mods. While there's nothing wrong with using it, and many have used it with success, its just not my style. I'd prefer to get to the bottom of the problem before anything else. However, if the leaks you're finding are small, difficult to find, or insignificant, steelflex might be the way to go.

Posting some pictures might help people pass judgement and give you some sound adivce.

tx dyeguy1212 i will keep u updated. tomorow i will take close up pics from the problems i might run into. i checkes out your boat i relly like it .. nice job
ttyl =D>

Latest posts