my first boat....jon that is

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A buddy and I are going to start our project. we have no boat, nothing so far. i have studied this blog all day and we are really excited. i had some questions.....v hull or flat? what kind of wood? where do we get carpet? how much does a project usually run? i had a big bass boat before but no need for it. We are just looking to do some traveling fishing in the small boat. any pointers would help. Thanks a bunch

Search function will pull up a lot of info for you.

As for hull, it depends. What kind of fishing do you do? What size body of water?

For wood, get a regular nontreated outdoor ply, and water seal it yourself with thompsons. Saves weight and money, and pressure treated wood corrodes aluminum.

Carpet can be bought from Bass Pro or Cabelas, or you can go with an indoor/outdoor carpet from lowes/ home depot.

Cost varies. A lot. Depends on what you want to do, size of boat, ... ... ... ... ... ... .

dang man....your good. well i am hoping to do some descent size fishing. i fished on the bass tour but not going to any lakes that big. i wanted to go like a 14 ft. thanks for the wood advice. and the carpet. you know how much it would run to carpet it?

thanks man. i really appreciate it

I got indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot about 3 years ago and just for carpet I spent about $100. It has held up really well and it is easy to clean.

The flatter and wider the boat, the more stable it is. However a V bottom would be better in rough water. In a 14', the big thing is to get a wide enough boat. There's a lot of 1436 on here but I would suggest going with 1440 minimum and wider if your budget affords it. width is measured at the floor. My first built I found used at a dealer for a fair price at the end of the seaon. My latest, I found a great deal on Craigslist. If you're not in a rush you can find some really good deals there.

Dyeguy is dead on with the wood and carpet. I personally used the Cabela's Deluxe carpet on my first build and I'm using it again on my current build. The stuff from Lowe's/Home Depot will work too but I liked the Cabela's stuff better because it was more flexible to work with and has a little softer finish(more like what you see on a bass boat). It comes in 6' or 8' lengths and shipping was pretty cheap(sometimes even free).

As far as budget goes it all depends on what you want to do? Motor? Lights? Switch panel or cheap switches? Hatch pulls or cloth pull tabs? Livewell? Aerator? Bilge Pump? Wood bracing or aluminum? High quality paint or Rustoleum? Electronics? All I can say is it adds up faster than you think.......but it's a lot of fun doing it. :D

well i know it is a stretch but i was hoping since it is dead winter up here i could find a boat for like 100 or maybe even free. i wanted to do all of the framing and stuff in wood with carpet and flush metal tabs. electronics maybe. i think i have and old fish finder

as for pumps and stuff. i wanted to do a livewell and a bilge pump. i think that is it.

i figured the total cost of everything would be around 1500? or is that too low?

i appreciate all the help guys

I'm in tthe same boat you are. Had to sell my Ranger bass boat due to financial reasons , but I still gotta get out on the water. Bought this old 1440 jon for $100 and the trailer for $100 got about 75 bucks in wood,glue and carpet. I think you could get what you want for alot less than 1500.Outboard is the money item but if you watch craigslist daily you can find some hot deals.

Attachments

• DSC07226.JPG
    DSC07226.JPG
    555.3 KB · Views: 1,130
i bought a brand new mercury 8hp 4 stroke for $ 1100 // long shaft .. u just gotta keep looking and jump on it right away if u do find something ..
trailor for freee
boat 200 bucks so all of it will cost me aprox. 1500 but it will last and it will be nice

Latest posts